APC Forum

Jute twine

dynomike1

Has anyone tested Jute twine? That seems to be all that's available around here now. I read test on Fire-working and all they talk about is hemp and cotton stretchering when dampened. I think i was using hemp in the past but i cant remember.

Most jute available in the stores is too thick/strong to really be used in shells. To expound on what Schroedinger said, a jute twine is used in maltese/old italian style shells. A much thinner variety is used for this purpose. I've never really used this method, but others on this forum have. The jute used is 1mm or thinner and has a break strength of approximately 10lbs. The shell is covered with a continuous layer of this twine in both the vertical and horizontal direction. To save time it's normally layed down several strands at a time.

I've found and successfully used polished hemp twine I obtained at Walmart. You might be able to find it at other craft shops. I believe it's intended to be used for jewelry making. The stuff I like is about 1mm wide and has a break strength of 20lbs. The balls are about 200g and approximately 400ft long. The length will vary by manufacturer and hemp source though. I tend not to wet the hemp twine when I spike with it, as in some circumstances it can stretch under tension and dry with more slack than it started with. I included the product I used, but it's unavailable at least in my current location. There are plenty of online sources if you wanted to try them out.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Natural-Polished-Hemp-Cord/17354458

I've also used cotton butcher twine with good success in the past. Cotton stretches significantly more than hemp though, which can be both good and bad. Typically you'll draw off as much as you need either in a long strand or onto a spiking horse and thoroughly soak with wheat paste. After wet, you spike it onto your shell. When it dries, it will tighten up even more.

I have good success with jute but prefer hemp.

I believe you need to experiment with the jute you get as there are so many variations. But definitely worth a play.

I can just recommend flax twine for spiking. Have a look at butcher supplies shop, it is sold for tying sausages. If you are lucky you can find a shop with reasonable pricing compared to hemp.

i have hemp like mumbles is talking about from Walmart , but never used it at our shoot , but I did use (I think this was the ply )7 ply cotton, and It gave ok brakes .

stay safe and stay green

~Steven

I should probably mention that I tend to use multiple strands at once with the 20lb hemp. I use 1 strand for smaller shells (3" and under), and 2 strands for larger (4-6") so far. I'll probably switch to 2 strands for 3-5", and 3 strands for 6". This would probably be true for cotton as well.

http://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/gallery/image/426-6inch-spiked-closeupjpg/

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Try out what you have. It'll probably work to some degree. Worst case scenario you wasted 1 shell and know better for next time.

Walmart is out of hemp, and dont know if they will have anymore. You know how they are. Thats why i was asking about Jute. Thanks

What I was taught was the jute the Maltese use is a 14 pound single strand twine (14/1). It is somewhat hard to get so I bought a pallet from an exporter which was a feat in itself. The twine can come in any many sizes. What I have bought was in about 6 kilo tubes (think roll or cone but cylindrical). This should give some scope as to how big the tubes are. Also these tubes of twine are well spliced which is meant to feed though machines for weaving and other applications so the dependability of good splices is pretty high. A major plus when spiking a shell. I have sold some of this off but am keeping most of it. With that said it should be realized that Walmart doesn't sell this stuff. The jute usually found in big box stores or landscaping supplies is usually too big for shell usage.....when working with normal parameters of shell building. This isn't to say that it can't be done but a lot of it is too big to use to be practical. If you put the time in you can find a twine or tune a twine to work but you may be changing any or every thing from former size to the type of burst charge used as well as the type of shell casing used.

When I spike shells of Maltese discipline I spool off twine from 4 tubes at a time to lay down spiking four strands wide as I go. This can get pretty laborious when pulling twine off four tubes that weigh about a total of 24Kg when new (for my sized tubes as ordered). Couple that with spiking a 10 or 12 inch shell and you can have your hands full pretty quick. With that said the same twine can be and is used on much smaller caliber shells as well. So yea, I guess I may have tested jute a time or two. :P

You said Wal-Mart doesn't have Jute? I saw 1 ply Jute at Walmart and Tractor supply. I have to finish my 4th of July show fairly quick because of going back to work, so i don't have time to order anything so this is what i will use. I have done all of my ball shells and i am only doing 4 or 5 canisters.

What I was taught was the jute the Maltese use is a 14 pound single strand twine (14/1). It is somewhat hard to get so I bought a pallet from an exporter which was a feat in itself. The twine can come in any many sizes. What I have bought was in about 6 kilo tubes (think roll or cone but cylindrical). This should give some scope as to how big the tubes are. Also these tubes of twine are well spliced which is meant to feed though machines for weaving and other applications so the dependability of good splices is pretty high. A major plus when spiking a shell. I have sold some of this off but am keeping most of it. With that said it should be realized that Walmart doesn't sell this stuff. The jute usually found in big box stores or landscaping supplies is usually too big for shell usage.....when working with normal parameters of shell building. This isn't to say that it can't be done but a lot of it is too big to use to be practical. If you put the time in you can find a twine or tune a twine to work but you may be changing any or every thing from former size to the type of burst charge used as well as the type of shell casing used.

When I spike shells of Maltese discipline I spool off twine from 4 tubes at a time to lay down spiking four strands wide as I go. This can get pretty laborious when pulling twine off four tubes that weigh about a total of 24Kg when new (for my sized tubes as ordered). Couple that with spiking a 10 or 12 inch shell and you can have your hands full pretty quick. With that said the same twine can be and is used on much smaller caliber shells as well. So yea, I guess I may have tested jute a time or two. :P

Is this roll anything like the 14:1 single strand stuff you are writing about? JUTE TWINE

It's more like this.

http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/dynomike1/20141228185157.jpg

Edited by dynomike1

It's more like this.

http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/dynomike1/20141228185157.jpg

I really don't think that is what the Maltese use, the shells I have seen have a single strand (not twisted and certainly not that large) that is the size of crochet yarn. The stuff you have shown looks to be 1/4" and probably has a breaking strength of over 100 lbs.

I guess the picture made it look bigger, it's only 1/8".

That would be the 48 pound stuff likely, the small single strand stuff that is really quite weak, that's why you have to layer the whole shell with it.