APC Forum

Legality

chemball

Hello all, i have been reading into the legality of this hobby, and I am concerned. I am a younger pyro. I am only 18 years old. I have been tinkering with pyro for the past two years and I have some concerns on its legality. I am aware of the ability to create and fire product on the same day and be in accordance with federal law, but I have some questions. First, are stars and other created chemical compositions considered to be the product that must be fired the same day of creation? Also, I am aware that this is a very grey area and the feds can turn this on you and convict you with an array of charges. I would like to go legal and get a BATFE license of manufacturing, but as of now i live in a suburban are and I will not be able to meet the distance guidelines for the storage of product. I feel that I should drop the hobby until I am at an age where I can own a large amount of land and get a federal license.

I do not think it is worth ruining the financial security of my family and my future for this hobby. I would appreciate some feedback on my predicament.

Thanks, Tony

Tony,

In short, yes stars/mixed pyrotechnic compositions, inserts, quickmatch, and homemade BP are ALL considered regulated materials by the ATF which means you must store them in a compliant magazine, or destroy them within 24 hours of being made.

However, there is no reason you should have too give up the hobby as there are ways to do things legally no matter where you live. There are quite a few clubs around the U.S that meet a few times a year. Quite a few of them allow onsite manufacturing/storage and firing of your own product.

Take a look at the PGI club directory and see if there is a club in your area.

http://www.pgi.org/links/clubs.php

Edited by Xtreme Pyro

The Heartland Pyrotechnics Association is very close to my house, and they are having a shoot this Saturday! I may have to go! Is it legal to have the assortment of chemicals without any created compositions? Would these chemicals have to be placed in the ATF approved magazine as well?

Tony

Yes, you can have the unmixed chemicals and their storage is not ATFE regulated.

How can i make shells the same day that they will be launched if stars are considered product? Will i have to resort to gerbs and rockets until i have a license? My thought is that anyone can own black powder, so it would be okay for me to create bp rockets with bp that i already own.. am i on the right track?

Most pyro events are more than one day long. So, day 1 you get your stars and comets or whatever made first and tossed in the drying box.

Between acetone/parlon stars, or alcohol/phenolic/hexamine stars and comets... you can make and shoot in one day, no problem.

Either way, HPA is doing it and doing it well. I'd honestly try and get involved with them.

The Heartland Pyrotechnics Association is very close to my house, and they are having a shoot this Saturday! I may have to go! Is it legal to have the assortment of chemicals without any created compositions? Would these chemicals have to be placed in the ATF approved magazine as well?

Tony

Have a go for them, try to call them before that so they know that you are comming and can prepare for that, maybe you are also happy that we got someone of them here on apc.

As they are local for you they should be in the best possition to tell you how to go on and answer all your questions.

Ohh... you lucky dog!! Great club. Sure wish I was closer. :)

Caleb,

MPA group is having a shoot Saturday evening. (fireworks and food)

Your new tooling is top notch stuff, when it warms up a little bit, I will be putting it to good use.

Stay Safe and have fun shooting your big gun on New Years Eve. :D

Thanks Mike,

I think you guys are still six hours away! :(

I was actually thinking of heading to a big city somewhere to see some fireworks. Any suggestions? (anyone)

We have had a long summer and a road trip might be fun. :)

Thanks for the compliment on the tooling. I thought maybe those multi pumps could be of some use to you. Your secret santa was having trouble figuring out what to get. You got the first Deluxe set!

I'm jonesing to get some case formers from you but I'm afraid I have spent way more than on pyro than I should have... I better wait till I get caught up.

Most of the HPA shoots are one day events. We have two each year that last all weekend at an incredible location. If you use parlon or phenolic resin as a binder with certain stars, they can easily be made, dried and primed in one day. Then you assemble your device and fire it the next day.

Caleb, I was in Chicago early this week and they always have a big NYE event on the lake. St Louis might have one too.

Edited by nater