APC Forum

Coconut crackling inserts

jonybravomdp

I think dragon eggs are added to the coconut star composition and stars may be pumped.

I would take 20 gm of dragon eggs and 80 gm of coconut composition mix it well and pump it.

You need to find correct coconut star composition.

Dragon eggs would be your best bet, although i dont know the comp for them. Unless you can find the formula, I would suggest trying to find them in consumer fireworks. This may be expensive and time consuming though. Edited by zakmaster524

They're generally called matrix comets. As described, they're dragon eggs embedded in a matrix. The matrix composition can be most anything. Charcoal streamers, like chrysanthemum 6 or the like, are very common and would yield an effect like in the video.

They're generally called matrix comets. As described, they're dragon eggs embedded in a matrix. The matrix composition can be most anything. Charcoal streamers, like chrysanthemum 6 or the like, are very common and would yield an effect like in the video.

what exactly is in the "matrix compostion"?

Exactly speaking, dragon eggs are in the matrix composition. I suspect that's not what you meant though. Maybe you should stop being lazy and try looking up the chrystanthemum 6 formula I mentioned.

Exactly speaking, dragon eggs are in the matrix composition. I suspect that's not what you meant though. Maybe you should stop being lazy and try looking up the chrystanthemum 6 formula I mentioned.

55 kno3, 33 charcoal, 7 sulphur, 5 dextrin. thats the formula right?

Can they be pumped tho?

My c6 + FeTi comp says specifically not to pump any comp containing feti!

Any inputs on this?

Gonna make some today, and the bleser blonde is nice. Also, i suspect N1 would be absolutely perfect for this.

Edit: Tpying erorr.

Edited by enanthate

As far as I know, pumping of Ti and FeTi is discouraged because these powders are very abrasive and will scratch your tooling. Please correct me if I'm wrong or if there are other dangers in addition to this.

I make pumps with O-rings just beyond the face of the rammer to battle seizing pumps due to metals galling the walls. One can use a paper disk or even some charcoal to make a buffer to keep the pump walls in good shape. Ti and FeTi are VERY common in comets, I only discourage ramming them, pressing is just fine as long as you make plans to keep the galling down.

BTW: If anybody seizes a pump, I can turn the sleeve off and save the pump rammer.

Can they be pumped tho?

My c6 + FeTi comp says specifically not to pump any comp containing feti!

Any inputs on this?

Gonna make some today, and the bleser blonde is nice. Also, i suspect N1 would be absolutely perfect for this.

Edit: Tpying erorr.

I pump blesser blonde streamers (feti 70mesh to dust) without any galling probs, same goes for pumped C6/C8/TT with Ti, feti or crackle for matrix stars.

So its relatively safe then, will give it a go.

I only have a hammer, no press, but will add a bit more water and treat it carefully.

Might go for another comp tho, just to be sure.

I used to have problems with metalpowders getting stuck, but after carefully grinding the pump with a dremel it works perfectly now. Its allways gliding like its been oiled, and never "locks".

Something to consider if youre having trouble.

A total of 0.5mm clearance is not a problem at all.

• 3 weeks later...

I just stumbled upon this topic, and it happens that I just finished some 5/8" comets. To make them, I used a PVC pipe and wood dowel pump. The composition was Chrysanthemum 6 + 15% FeTi (40-325 mesh. I tested one and it was beautiful! (although over-lifted, 1g BP charge) Here's a video if you're curious what this effect looks like:

BTW sorry for lack of sound, the app I used to trim the video was mind-bogglingy crappy.

Thanks! I recently received the FeTi and am amazed by the effects you can create by adding it to charcoal-based star/fountain/comet compositions. Great stuff! Yeah sorry about the camerawork, it ascended pretty fast and I was trying to look at the comet in real life instead of through the iPhone... bad idea LOL

Currently making DE cores with TT rolled on them, using tt + Feti as the outter layer. Does it need priming?

My feti is around 70 mesh IIRC.

I would say you should, just in case. TT has a fairly low oxidizer content and adding FeTi makes it burn even slower, so it is not gauranteed it will catch fire without prime.