APC Forum

Go Getters - ways to delay ignition

mkn

Hi All,

I searched for some answers on this and did not find much, so I wanted to run my idea by you all and get some thoughts.

I have Dag's great 7/16" go getter tool, nice and Ez Peze ! Spanish #1 Blue, Buell Red, and for Green -Tom Rebenklau's Green Go getter. These are sweet !! great color and the tooling gives them good lift and burn time.

What I was thinking after watching a few video's of go getters, was a way to delay the ignition so the go getter lights at or near the end of the burst energy. I think this might give a really sporadic flight if they are powering their own flight and not fighting the burst energy.
I have only launched these bottle rocket style with basic visco, I still need to try BM.
To Delay - I though the stick of BM down in the core in a "V" as I have read with a drop of BP slurry to aid ignition. When this dries then fill the rest of the core with paraffin wax so the BM has to burn down to reach the dried drop of BP slurry. I don't know how much delay this would produce , if any at all.
Or maybe I would be better off trying a piece of visco that times / burn rate correctly with the wax?
Thanks in advance for the feedback.
Matt

Hi Matt

I`d press a C6 star thats a tight fit for the tube and glue it in to cover the nozzle. Might as well gain an extra effect for your efforts as not.

When in doubt. just make a baby time fuse disc and slurry the ends like you would cap plugs!! (just don't tape it too tight!! and blow up your getters from the inside) Put small stars in your shell for the (inner petal) small stars burn 2 or so sec. getters take over right at the end of the inner petals burn!! Sweet!!!

Good idea MKN, Now go make it happen!!! I wanna see one!!!

Try it...

Try it.

:)

Hi Matt

I`d press a C6 star thats a tight fit for the tube and glue it in to cover the nozzle. Might as well gain an extra effect for your efforts as not.

Ah yes, If I understand correctly the C6 burning rate designates the delay time, when it reaches the end, the getter ignites, nice coal sparks then the getter ! The tubes are full but I'm sure I can tape around a C6 to the tube and seal the fire. I'll check and see if I have any pressed or rolled coal stars for a try. I think I have some D1 rolled, I do have some TT to blue.......oh this is getting quite interesting !

When in doubt. just make a baby time fuse disc and slurry the ends like you would cap plugs!! (just don't tape it too tight!! and blow up your getters from the inside) Put small stars in your shell for the (inner petal) small stars burn 2 or so sec. getters take over right at the end of the inner petals burn!! Sweet!!!

Good idea MKN, Now go make it happen!!! I wanna see one!!!

Try it...

Try it.

:)

Oh yes the next stage.....an inner petal followed by the getters, sounds great. Looks like 12 - 14 will fit in a 3", now with an inner petal, at least a 4", then the infamous 4" on a 4oz ( 4 on a 4) of course whistle rocket.........dang I have to go to work tomorrow......

Edit: ah 200 ! now I am a pyrotechnician , it all makes more sense now, just kidding, but it does seem better than being a pyromaniac. ;)

Edited by mkn

Congrats ;)

A pressed C6 comp burning from one end gives me around 1 sec delay per 2mm of star, dont make it too thick or the getters may be on the ground when they ignite.

Congrats ;)

A pressed C6 comp burning from one end gives me around 1 sec delay per 2mm of star, dont make it too thick or the getters may be on the ground when they ignite.

Well, I already know flame is going to the ground because I did not follow all the directions and flame proof the tubes......so this first batch is snow bound or over a lake / pond, but yes get the getters lit in the air! Fun little buggers !

For about the first 20 years of go-getters, they were made by filling a tube with a parlon bound slurry of composition with a fuse inserted. These behaved about as you described. They show color for a second or two, and then take off like a rocket as the fuse burns away leaving a core.

Mumbles, Yes I did read that, that's really what I'm after. Although filling the tubes with a slurry does not sound as inviting, plus I don't get to use Dag's Go Getter tooling. This fairly dry comp I made was extremely easy to work with, no mess to speak of.

It might be neat to have a Dark moment then then go getters ignite seemingly out of nowhere.

Matt

I have also been playing with the scatter stars a fair bit lately. I like the idea of marrying the comets to the go getter, so all breaks as normal then goes 'go-getting' loverly :)

If you want the shell to have no effect at break and a delayed ignition ofnthe getters, you also could try to give the go getters a nosing out of kraft (like on a rocket) and twist the nosing paper shut around the fuse.
  • Like 1

Spanish #1 Blue, Buell Red, and for Green -Tom Rebenklau's Green Go getter

Concerning the green, may I ask for a formula?

And, did you by chance have burn rate figures for these comps?

Ok, the adding of a comet or star to the core end of a go getter does work. I masking taped on to the 7/16" go getter , a rolled C8 with blue cores. When I fired from the gun softly they worked great, star burn then the go getter ignited. When I fired hard, I had issues, some shots so hard the C8 did not ignite, others I think the C8 separated from the go getter because it was only taped on. I am thinking of trying to hot glue the stars on and see if that helps, or I should figure a way to have a soft break of the shell. A soft break would be trial and error I suppose?

Schrodinger- paper cones would be a good alternative to the wax drops, maybe worth trying both.

Mabuse00- The green came from a pay site, I don't think I am at liberty to distribute that formula, maybe I'm wrong? sorry. It is a barium nitrate, mgal formula this may help tracking down a suitable formula "This is a slightly modified Troy Fish type composition. See Pyrotechnica 7 for more details. Source: Tom Rebenklau"

Matt

slurry prime and a dunk in some granulated bp should sort the igntion issue. A pressed (cylindrical) star would give a better seal, i`d find a bit of tube to make a pumped star that has to be pressed into place :)

Edited by Col

Mkn, just paste them in, opposite of how your paste-ing them right now. Think of a crossette ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Well its back to the drawing board, I tried plain old fusing of them. Worked great in my gun, but failed in the 4" shell. 22 of the 23 getters blind.......sigh......on the bright side the green one was cool ! and I could imagine all the rest with blue and red from my gun tests, but I was the only one who could imagine that. :)

since I built a second one the same way, should try to take it apart ? if so how? or just launch it.

Matt

Matt,

Go-getter shells that I have seen lately look like they weren't broken very hard. It may be that your black match didn't take fire or they were shielded by something, paper maybe?

Yes maybe I broke them too hard, sound of break did not seem unreasonable, I didn't think I had much BPCRH in so I added 3g or so whistle, I didn't weight it just sprinkled. maybe just the BPCRH would be enough. I think that is what I will try next.

I don't think paper would have shielded, but would not rule it out.

Can't wait to get it right as those baby's are so cooooool !!

Matt

On mine I put a couple drops of nc/bp laquer and set a strand of blackmatch I harvested from quickmatch. All of mine lit nicely.

Dag do you have anymore tubes for sale?

Yes maybe I broke them too hard, sound of break did not seem unreasonable, I didn't think I had much BPCRH in so I added 3g or so whistle, I didn't weight it just sprinkled. maybe just the BPCRH would be enough. I think that is what I will try next.

I don't think paper would have shielded, but would not rule it out.

Can't wait to get it right as those baby's are so cooooool !!

Matt

The reason I ask is that paper can be a very effective fire block, after cleaning up many, many shows, you see all sorts of thin paper that has been blown to bits but not burnt and casings, end disks etc that are barely scorched. The BP slurry with BM should be fantastic at taking fire so either it was hit too hard or the fire blocked them...

Unless the go-getters were shattered? Did you fine any on the ground? That would go SO far to tell you what the issue was.

On mine I put a couple drops of nc/bp laquer and set a strand of blackmatch I harvested from quickmatch. All of mine lit nicely.

Dag do you have anymore tubes for sale?

No, sorry, they all sold. I will happily bore anybodies set to fit commercial tubes though. Just send me the tube and the pump and I will fit them. (The tube has to be the same ID as the rammer, replacements will be priced on a one by one basis)

If you already have a good tube that you want to use, just send one to me the EXACT length you want the go-getters and I will make the pump for you, email me for prices. coldfire11@msn.com