APC Forum

Ball Mill questions

pudidotdk

Like everybody else, I want to build a ball mill, but I have some questions before I start buying and searching.

- Can a Tuble Drier Motor be used as motor? What else can? I'm going to the local dumo tomorrow, and I would like to know what to look for.

- I did some calculation, and found out that if my ball mill jar is Ø8cm and 15 cm length and each cylinder is Ø1 cm and 1 cm heigh, I should use ~370 cylinders to fill it up half full.

But of course, that's only if I stack the cylinders in the jar, like if you stable pumped stars in cylinder shells ( ;) )

How many cylinders should i use to fill the ball mill jar half full? Any suggestions...?

- I still havn't figured out... you know... those PVC skrewcap jars. Don't know where to look, because last time i was in a hardware store, they only had PVC couplings (don't know if that's the correct word), but they only fit with an endcaps that goes inside the coupling, and are very hard to get apart once assebled.

- Any suggestions for milling jars?

- I'm going to use brass cylinders as milling media instead of lead balls. Does that necessarily mean that I should mill for longer time...

That's pretty much. Just want to be sure about those things :)

I would suggest searching this forum before posting new threads from now on. There are probably no less than 10 threads devoted to ballmills.