APC Forum

Ground burst

dynomike1

Has anyone seen how they make a ground burst the one in this video @ is awesome.

• Like 1

I suspect most people's answer will be not intentionally. ;)

If you look closely that is actually on a lake or body of water. You can find them occasionally called "frogs" I think. Basically it's half a shell with something floaty like styrofoam around it to orient it. Shells break bigger than you expect.

Looking at the break & star formation i'd expect something more like a cone shape, then a half sphere, but that might be an artifact of sitting on the water?

Anyway, it looks quite nice.

B!

The only intentional ground burst I saw was made 1 shell hemi filled as normal and the other filled with kitty litter. This was lit in the winter in a large harvested field. The break was a dome or half sphere shape and large.

Mumbles is quite right, most ground bursts are mishaps. Fireworks look different from the inside looking out.

Someone in the UK tried using commercial shells as ground shells, it's surprising how far they spread. Don't try one without a LOT of space, and a LONG firing cable, you really don't want to be inside that. IIRC a 3" shell stood on a 2" mortar (ie off the ground really) needs about 400m safety distance.

Now i know why i never saw anything on this.