APC Forum

Fuse Powder?

zakmaster524

Does anyone know the chemical formula of the powder found in Visco Fuse? Is it just black powder? Also, Can it be packed into a firecracker tube?

There are MANY different formulas for fuse, from BP to a type of slow flash. You can stuff it in a tube but why? It wont be loud and it will be very expensive.

thanks for the help ! :) i was thinking about extracting it from visco

Lord help me , please tell me exactly what you plan to do with the stuff extracted from fuse ? I don't want to jump to conclusions like I usually do.....

Stay Safe and Stay Green

~Steven

thanks for the help ! :) i was thinking about extracting it from visco

It will not be loud or powerful and it will be expensive... What a waste of good visco. :o

• Like 1

alright well thanks for advice. i was a actually planning on cutting open a piece of visco with a razor blade (exacto) and taking the powder from inside, then, using some kind of combustible tissue paper, rolling my own thin fuse.

ding! ding! ding! We have a winner

Why, because you think you can do it better than they can? :D

My guess is you've got something else planned...

ding! ding! ding! we have a winner, folks. :ph34r:

It's always worth the thought Zak. I know where you were going, but in this case far from practical to repurpose fuse. ;)

Mark

Zak,

Visco fuse is available in various sizes from 1.5mm on up. You can even get gray paper fuse although it's probably too fast. Maybe your budget won't allow a fuse purchase. However, considering the time and effort you will exert trying to split open your existing visco, it's just not worth it. Your fingers may also appreciate not doing this.

Yeah instead of spending the time exorcising that within a fuse, spend it on researching the wonderful world of pyrotechnics. Trust me it's worth it. Never know, stick with it long enough you'll get enough bangs to have yourself annoyed and one day you will be searching for "silent fireworks" :P (joke,kinda)

hey if you wanna spend all day cutting up visco to make a couple shitty firecrackers, go ahead :) /s

Edited by Maserface
  • Like 1

thanks guys i think im going to just stick to my flash powder. I was just wondering. Thanks! :D

Yep... Flash powder, remember to be careful with that stuff... The best recipe for it is:

Potassium nitrate : 60

Charcoal: 30

Sulfur: 10

Mix well and flash away. K3WL!

;)

Edited by jessoman
  • Like 1

haha well pretty sure thats not the formula but okaaay?

haha well pretty sure thats not the formula but okaaay?

It's "a formula". Not quite flash, but it should still make a noise. If you cant identify the composition based on the formula he provided i'm not sure you should be making flash, to be honest.

Well, i'm quite sure you shouldn't be making flash, based on the "i'll cut up fuses to get som powder that will go bang" conceptual idea, but were all just trying to make sure you live through such bad ideas.

Stay safe, use protection.

B!

You'd be better off giving no information, rather than misinformation...

Good point.

However, considering no research clearly is being made he deserves it. Other readers don't though :-) I am just trying to help... in a twisted way.

I had a mate ask me how to make the stuff years ago. I told him what I mentioned above. He called my bluff and did some research. Got some respect for the stuff and realized it wasn't for him. I told him to put the formula above in a rocket, he's now an avid rocket lover.

Excuse my misinformation :)

• Like 2

actually i had no real intention of making any fuse powder items... im fine off with my materials i have, and for those of you who think ive been posting to much, why dont you just not read them?

Can anyone help me..... No kind of Fuse is available in my country. I need it for my science fair in school to make a sugar/kno3 rocket. So is there any substitute for that? Can i use Magnesium ribbon or something else? Please help me out :(

Can anyone help me..... No kind of Fuse is available in my country. I need it for my science fair in school to make a sugar/kno3 rocket. So is there any substitute for that? Can i use Magnesium ribbon or something else? Please help me out :(

If this is a school project that you were asked to make, one wonders why some information regarding its safe ignition was not provided? :whistle:

Anyway, a simple "sparkler" should suffice and a lot safer than magnesium ribbon.

Cheers.

@stix Actually school have not asked me to make this project for science fair , it's my own choice!. Well, thanks for your help Sir.

I have some more question about this ..
Do I have to make the whole propellant to be burned by the fuse/mag ribbon etc or the purpose if these things is just to ignite the fuel/propellant ? Will whole propellant burn itself ? I am confused whether to fill the drilled hole in propellant completely with the igniter (fuse/mag ribbon/ black match etc) or just a spark is needed ? If just a spark is needed so will spark be suffice to make whole propellant burn on its own?

Sorry if these foolish question bother you.... I am a newbie actually :) And I don't have enough time.... I have to finalize the project Tomorrow

Edited by ZonerAsh