APC Forum

Back Yard Magazine

Eagle66

I live in a residential neighborhood where it is impossible to have an ATFE approved magazine because of required separations, so, before I apply for a User license, I need to have contingent storage. That’s doable, but I’d like to have my own small magazine for safe storage between the making of my comps, stars, devices, etc., and transporting them to my contingent storage. I'm not thinking of anything that would actually meet the specifications of any agency, just something safer than some shelves in the shed.

So, here’s my idea. I would construct an in-ground magazine in the back of the property a safe distance from the house, shed, etc. like this:

post-18901-0-44312200-1417360058_thumb.jpg

I’m thinking it might be about 2’ x 2’ x 4’ inside dimensions. Poured concrete bottom, 3” thick. Walls of poured concrete or solid cement blocks, 3” thick. Steel lid, locked with 2 good padlocks. Materials inside would be in waterproof containers.

Oh, I was also thinking it might be a good idea to sort of camouflage the thing so its function is not obvious to any neighbors, etc. who might look over my fence. Easily done, given the nature of my back yard.

Input, please.

Edited by Eagle66

I think you can have an indoor magazine that holds 50 pounds or less. So would something like that work for you? I have heard of them just never really looked into them so I don't have the specifics.

Mark

Don't know what you call these in the States but look on http://www.vanvault.co.uk/and find something like that in your town. They are not impossible to crack but they are secure as can be for tools on a site or in a van. Would probably comply with your regs for really small storage but check first.

The equivalent in the US would probably be a Jobox. They're a common type 4 magazine starting material. To be ATF compliant they need to be lined with wood and get some heftier locks. Some may require better hoods over the locks and some will secure the hinge pins.

I was actually going to suggest something like this. You can probably find them secondhand relatively easy, and should be almost good to go. I'd at least line the interior with something non-sparking, but otherwise you'll be fine if don't intend to have it approved. Should you ever get in trouble, having something compliant would go a long way to show you're serious and not a terrorist even if the distances aren't right.

As Arthur stated above, Job Boxes work great for a small indoor magazine. Skylighter even has an article outlining how to modify one.

Edit: You can find it here: http://blog.skylighter.com/fireworks/2009/06/fireworking-safety-and-law.html

I read the article and have concluded that I am probably wrong about being unable to have ATFE compliant storage on my property. I guess that turns my original question into a "Never mind". Thanks to you all for the input.