APC Forum

what exactly is anhydrous acetic acid used for here

matchstick

its a pretty nooby question, so i felt it belonged here, so i was wondering, what exactly do you use glacial acetic acid for, as in the anhydrous kind?
so far the only perpose ive read of is involving perchloric acid and an organic peroxide.

Why go through the lengths you do, for acetic acid in anhydrous form?

i just dont get it.

For pyro it has no real uses. For actual chemistry it's used in a lot of things. Your question is quite vague so it's hard to really answer.

Then what might be some examples of the uses people here may have had for it? such as those frequently talking about how they are making it/documenting how to make it. Theres never any talk of the end use, so far all i can asume is that people make it just so they can have some, but never use it, as a novelty, but that cant be right.

Don't use it!

There is no use for it in pyro.

If you want to know what it is used for in general cnemistry go over to sciencemadness

This forum is Amateur Pyro AND Chemistry, I feel this post is highly relevant to the forum.

It's used as a solvent, a reagent, a precursor to esters, a precursor to acetic anhydride and acetyl chloride, amongst many other things.

This question is like asking what we use potassium perchlorate for. The answer is that it can be used for basically everything.

Afaik it's main "DIY" use is the synthesis of illegal narcotics, hence people are reluctant to talk about if they do with it, and AFIAK it's a UN controlled precursor so it's hard to find on the open market, and hard to make.

I've never needed it for home pyro.