APC Forum

Spiral or Convolute?

OblivionFall

Hi there, this halloween was a lot of fun with my 1/4" I.D. x 2 1/2" salutes (500mg flash powder.)

I used up all of my tubes for different types of projects and I'm looking to buy another 50 so I have a few questions:

Are Spiral or Convolute tubes better for firecrackers? What are the pros/Cons of using each?

I know that Convolute tubes are normally used for rockets but I have seen them used for the charge launched out of a lot of fireworks cakes.

I understand how dangerous flash powder can be and how much you guys are against providing information on how to build flash powder salutes. I used a nitrate-based flash powder that is KNO3/Al/S in a 5/3/2 ratio. I only make 10g batches of flash powder at a time, often less. I also take all of the necessary safety precautions and use very reliable visco fuse that burns 32 seconds/foot.

Firecrackers over 50 mg are illegal and put a black eye on this hobby. You will also get a felony charge if you are caught out with them.

I doubt you will get a lot of help. Especially with such a simple question. Maybe try reading up on fireworks and working on some more tame projects before making the decision to make firecrackers. You really can get in trouble with them.

The guy I met that made illegal crackers was missing 3 fingers and couldn't vote or own a gun because of his felony conviction.

Firecrackers over 50 mg are illegal and put a black eye on this hobby. You will also get a felony charge if you are caught out with them.

I doubt you will get a lot of help. Especially with such a simple question. Maybe try reading up on fireworks and working on some more tame projects before making the decision to make firecrackers. You really can get in trouble with them.

The guy I met that made illegal crackers was missing 3 fingers and couldn't vote or own a gun because of his felony conviction.

A homemade firecracker of any size is illegal without proper licensing while there are a LOT of BATFE approved "Bird Bangers" bigger than 50mg.

Bottom line, I have no issues talking about flash or salutes, I have made hundreds and used them legally with club licenses etc. I dont advocate any device that explodes on the ground, that is the place where the cops and the feds get all excited, best to leave that alone before you end up like FlaMtnBkr's friend and get hurt or arrested.

Hi there, this halloween was a lot of fun with my 1/4" I.D. x 2 1/2" salutes (500mg flash powder.)

I used up all of my tubes for different types of projects and I'm looking to buy another 50 so I have a few questions:

Are Spiral or Convolute tubes better for firecrackers? What are the pros/Cons of using each?

I know that Convolute tubes are normally used for rockets but I have seen them used for the charge launched out of a lot of fireworks cakes.

I understand how dangerous flash powder can be and how much you guys are against providing information on how to build flash powder salutes. I used a nitrate-based flash powder that is KNO3/Al/S in a 5/3/2 ratio. I only make 10g batches of flash powder at a time, often less. I also take all of the necessary safety precautions and use very reliable visco fuse that burns 32 seconds/foot.

Skip the cardboard all together, and go straight to metal...

One of the most important things about this is to stay legal to the laws in you area. Not knowing where you live and the local laws of the land this whole thing could land you in the local jail. Started slow and build up your skills and learn the law in your location.

So you can see most of us here on the forum would agree with what has been said by the others above............Pat

Not sure I would say he was a friend. Just some yahoo I met that liked to blow stuff up, made and sold illegal firecrackers, and got caught and convicted. Most things are legal if you have proper licensing and knowledge of the laws. Though that could take a law degree these days.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that. Just that it takes knowledge to make and light safely, and the local police might not share the same enthusiasm.

Skip the cardboard all together, and go straight to metal...

Sounds like a great plan. I'm also going to use 5 inches of 1/4 seconds / foot quick fuse as a wick for it. I think I might as well fill it up with 100g of armstrong's mix and hold it in my hand to light it then throw it.

I am being sarcastic

Edited by OblivionFall

Sounds like a great plan. I'm also going to use 5 inches of 1/4 seconds / foot quick fuse as a wick for it. I think I might as well fill it up with 100g of armstrong's mix and hold it in my hand to light it then throw it.

I am being sarcastic

I dont think he was

Disregarding the where, why and who's laws, 50mg - Is that correct? "50 thousandths of a gram or .05 of a gram".

I'm certainly no expert, but I couldn't see how you could make a cracker using 50mg of BP, or are you referring to flash or armstrongs mix.

Ok thanks, that makes more sense. I've done some reading regarding flash powder and armstrongs mix but very happy to leave that well enough alone.

I do like firecrackers though, and given the right circumstances, who doesn't like a good old fashioned bang! :D

Cheers.

As mentioned, that's what the standard commercial firecracker is limited to and essentially what is in a 'Blackcat' firecracker in the US.

In the right configuration, there doesn't need to be a lot of flash to make decent noise. Based on the color of the flash in a firecracker I don't think they are using the more powerful dark aluminum. Looks more like the bright flake 'tinman' type aluminum. They could be louder if a more brissant flash was used.

The strange thing is that other things seem to be allowed a bit more flash. The report in a bottle rocket is quite a bit more potent. Haven't seen what these are legally allowed to contain.

A firecracker in a beer bottle won't do anything. Put a bottle rocket in upside down and it shatters the bottle.

I think aerial devices can contain 120 mg of a noise producing charge. That number may be off, but you are correct that some things can have more flash than others.

Your number is close enough...

"Consumer fireworks are the small fireworks usually sold at stands around the Fourth of July holiday. These include some small devices designed to produce audible effects, ground devices containing 50 mg or less of flash powder, and aerial devices containing 130 mg or less of flash powder."

In my opinion, it really depends on where you live. For example if you live in the middle of canada or greenland, no feds or police are really going to waste their time trying to track you down. On the other hand, if you live in somewhere like san francisco or NYC there is a chance they will take the time to come find you. I live in a suburban area near Las Vegas so i can walk about a mile into the desert and set off M-80s, Cherry Bombs and really any salute you could ask for. Anyways, technically, yes, firecrackers and large pyrotechnic devices are illegal most places in the US.

Yep. My mistake. Every beginner should make huge firecrackers as they are easy to make and a good first project to learn from. It's only illegal if you get caught. And blowing off a few fingers very rarely kills you.

Sorry, wasnt trying to sound hostile. The thing about most firecrackers is that they are dangerous to make and illegal so whether your a beginner or not doesnt change anything.