APC Forum

Flash powder and dragon eggs safety?

AldoSPyro

I was wondering about this idea ever since I saw a video of a large Polish firecracker called Little Joe, it is a quite loud groundsalute which seems to be filled with 100g of flashpowder and a bunch of dragon egg Microstars. I was wondering what the safety of using dragon egg Microstars in air or ground salute is. I've heard they are kind of sensitive and I was wondering if they could be put in a binary mixed salute shell to make a fun daytime effect?

Little Joe salute

http://pyrofire.eu/detail.php?product=452

(PS dagbu I'm not a kewl b00m3r it's a legitamite question)

That is probably a black powder salute. The description says the explosion can not be compared to bigger salutes. Flash would likely destroy any dragon egg effect.

You could probably make an aerial shell as long as it's BP to break it. Might be able to spike with a little flash but would have to experiment with how much. And then some would still probably be broken apart or blown blind.

• Like 1

FlaMtnBkr It is definitely not a BP salute, the total weight is 100g comprising of a mix of crackle and flash powder. They said it was not compared to the Big Boy salute which is 100g of pure flash powder. But you might be right about the crackle stars being blown blind.

You might want to see some more videos of the salute, it is definitely not BP. The only places you will find BP crackers in Europe is in Germany where flash crackers are illegal.

You might want to see some more videos of the salute, it is definitely not BP. The only places you will find BP crackers in Europe is in Germany where flash crackers are illegal.

We used to have BP firecrackers, but nowadays firecrackers are illegal, period.

A shame really. So every year i make a few 100 BP crackers of my own. And use them for all the weird, and stupid things i did when i was a kid. Mine makes a bigger bang, and are much more reliable never having had the fuse twisted all out of shape to fit in a box... I don't generally do flash firecrackers mostly since i don't feel comfortable working with flash in that way. I'll do it if i have to for some project, like multiple timed tiny aerial salutes, but not for firecrackers. We actually had both BP and flash firecrackers while they were legal.

B!

Well it doesn't look like flash to me from that video. It is more orange than the blinding bright white light of a flash salute. Or it could just be the video doesn't capture it well. 5g is enough booster in a 3" shell to start blowing apart my stars.

I put 50 g in my 3" aerial salutes and there are no stars I can make that can light and survive that blast.

Maybe it is flash, or maybe it's just tamed down flash, but if it is they are doing something I can't. I frequently add a few stars to my aerial salutes to see if I can find something to survive and haven't got much more than a few long hanging sparks. Maybe I just need to try a slower flash.

Also, my bismuth dragon eggs aren't all that sensitive. I don't think they will be a problem putting them in a completed device. As with anything you find on the internet that you aren't comfortable with, do some testing to give you an idea of safety. If you can beat on your dragon eggs with a hammer on a metal plate they should be able to survive the lift and rough handling just fine.

Thanks I will test my stars' sensitivity

Well it doesn't look like flash to me from that video. It is more orange than the blinding bright white light of a flash salute. Or it could just be the video doesn't capture it well. 5g is enough booster in a 3" shell to start blowing apart my stars.

I put 50 g in my 3" aerial salutes and there are no stars I can make that can light and survive that blast.

Maybe it is flash, or maybe it's just tamed down flash, but if it is they are doing something I can't. I frequently add a few stars to my aerial salutes to see if I can find something to survive and haven't got much more than a few long hanging sparks. Maybe I just need to try a slower flash.

Also, my bismuth dragon eggs aren't all that sensitive. I don't think they will be a problem putting them in a completed device. As with anything you find on the internet that you aren't comfortable with, do some testing to give you an idea of safety. If you can beat on your dragon eggs with a hammer on a metal plate they should be able to survive the lift and rough handling just fine.

Thanks! I will test my stars' sensitivity, but it was a terrible quality video, here is a much better video of it being compared to the Big Boy salute: