APC Forum

Military Thread

PyroAce

It is clear that the term “assault rifle” is widely misconstrued, likely a result of US sensationalist media. I was never clear how an assault rifle differed from what we used to call “battle rifles”. My only distinction was that it was a weapon that was primarily used by military personnel.

Back in “the day” my Dads’ 30/.06 could have been referred to as an assault rifle, it certainly was a battle rifle. Its “assault” counterpart was the Browning BAR chambered, I believe, for the same round but had the capability of selective fire and a detachable box magazine. I absolutely get the difference between full and semi auto and selective fire, that’s easy. I am curious to hear a definitive description of an assault weapon and the rounds associated with it.

I guess the real question re: Assault vs. battle rifle or otherwise is the line between “intermediate” and “full power” rounds. I’d say that’s a pretty fine line performance wise and would be unclear if it was determined by caliber alone or energy and downrange capability. If the 7.62 and 5.56 are not assault rounds what is? I could buy that the 7.62(.308 sporting) is not as it is a mere smidge off the performance of the ’06. 5.56 (.223 sporting) is a curiosity however…… If that doesn’t qualify, what does? Or is the 5.56 an assault round if it comes out of an M16 and not if it flies from an AR15? Perhaps there’s more enlightenment to come.

I apologize, I never served. Fell between the cracks in the early ‘70s. By the time we got past those trying times I was already heavily invested in the workforce. The Old Man was a Marine so I can appreciate....Thanks and a big tip ‘o the cap to those of you that have. It’s one of the things that make America great.

Edited by otto

No military service for me. I looked into the Coast Guard, but my corrected eyesight prevented me from being guaranteed the job I was most interested in.

I fulfill my desire for duty as a civilian paramedic. I cannot compare it to wartime tours and service but I certainly see my share of ghosts and experiences that are only shared with those who share the same ones.

No military service for me. I looked into the Coast Guard, but my corrected eyesight prevented me from being guaranteed the job I was most interested in.

I fulfill my desire for duty as a civilian paramedic. I cannot compare it to wartime tours and service but I certainly see my share of ghosts and experiences that are only shared with those who share the same ones.

I thought the US Military/government pays for corrective eye surgery?

• Like 1

Another thing I wanted to ask, I saw a video reportedly from Syria in which what looks like a grenade or something is thrown down a tank turret, the insade of the tank then explodes, can this be possible? My guess is that if a round is in the chamber and has an explosive shell then anything exploding inside that turret would set the detonator off in the shell round?

It is a special chambering using a bullet that is 4" long and has actuators and fins that allow thew bullet to be steered in flight.

"The Extreme Accuracy Tasked Ordnance (EXACTO) system seeks to improve sniper effectiveness and enhance troop safety by allowing greater shooter standoff range and reduction in target engagement timelines. The objective of the EXACTO program is to revolutionize rifle accuracy and range by developing the first ever guided small-caliber bullet. The EXACTO 50- caliber round and optical sighting technology expects to greatly extend the day and nighttime range over current state-of-the-art sniper systems. The system combines a maneuverable bullet and a real-time guidance system to track and deliver the projectile to the target, allowing the bullet to change path during flight to compensate for any unexpected factors that may drive it off course."

Edited by dagabu
  • Like 1

I thought the US Military/government pays for corrective eye surgery?

At the time, the US Military did not even allow corrective surgery for new recruits and certain jobs. They were uncertain about the procedure being permanent. Times have changed now with research and new technology. I do not know what their policies are and what is or is not covered.

• Like 1

US Army for me. Did some crazy shit and seen some crazy shit. It was supposed to be peace time but it wasn't always so peaceful.

• Like 1

My two boys both served. Oldest Navy corpsman, youngest 82nd. Both saw some bad stuff and did some bad stuff that had to be done. Nether will talk about it much and I don't press it. They left home boys and came home responsible men. I am proud to call them my sons.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

U.S. Army Ret. 1971-1998 27yrs. 2/115FA. I also was in air defense Mortars 4.2" and shot for Tn. Combat Rifle, Precision Rifle, and pistol, Machine gun, combat Rifle, and pistol

• 4 weeks later...

1973-1989 still serving as civ instructor.

• 1 year later...

US Army for me. Did some crazy shit and seen some crazy shit. It was supposed to be peace time but it wasn't always so peaceful.

Care to elaborate on this "crazy shit" lol it didn't involve live grenades did it?

Hehe, I taught an improvised munition course and we had a belligerent know it all Squid in a session. He claimed to already know the class criteria before it even got started. It pissed all of us off so badly that we began brainstorming a "Special" lesson.

The following Monday we announced a class visit to the special weapons range. Upon arrival all trainees were issued flash goggles and earmuffs along with a liability signoff sheet.

After the mandatory "Don't get killed" spiel we proceeded to instruct the trainees on the capabilities of the M-755 Man Portable Nuclear Device.

This device, to my knowledge, does not exist.

We used an old practice turret .50 cal from an APC (looked like a 40mm) as the weapon.

We placed 3- 55 gallon drums of Foo gas with quick match to standard military detonators in the sand pit below a standard target. We had a problem synchronizing the BANG with the BOOM so we compromised and came up with a "delay to insure proper insertion".

When the C4 blew, that boy literally shit his pants.

Edited by OldMarine
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...