APC Forum

KP in a Thundermug

Wiley

Has anyone ever tried using Shimizu KP burst in a thundermug?

Shimizu KP
Potassium perchlorate.............................70
Hemp coal (or Paulownia coal).....................18
Sulfur............................................12
Dextrin.................................. 5 or to taste

I know this stuff is still fairly hot using commercial airfloat if you confine it enough. What I typically do with my thundermugs is load my Pyrodex charge (4oz in the cannon pictured), cover it with a cardboard disk, and smush ordinary white bread (three slices in the one pictured) in with a dowel and hand pressure. Pyrodex seems to behave similar to KP, since it burns pathetically slow at atmospheric pressure, but can make great booms if confined. Since KP can easily turn star shells into salutes, I don't see it being too slow for a thundermug. Any thoughts?

post-12911-0-87317400-1416534448_thumb.jpg

Sounds like it will pressure spike . KP and H3 have a tendency to spike while BP is more of a steady push. It will stress the mug. I would lean towards not using a KP powder. These powders have a ability to detonate if put in a extreme condition.Your mug looks extreme and may take the pressures .......but why take the chance for min. savings or a slightly bigger bang. ?

Ah, I see. I'll just stick with BP substitutes.

Has anyone ever put a bag of flour on top of a mug like this in order to get a large "smoke" cloud from it, or does it turn into a fireball? Either way, should be pretty cool.

Can turn to a fire ball.,,,but may need to lessen the charge or add Ti to the bp.You Can set a bag of flour on top the mug......