APC Forum

Ti snowball - do they work with whistle mix ?

mkn

Hi All,

I wonder if they work with whistle? I have had good success with the traditional method. I just tried one and only had a report, no Ti sparks. I have searched the forum many different ways and nothing has come up for me.

Thanks in advance !

Matt

cant see why it wouldnt work as long as its a reasonably energetic whistle mix. You may need to use a bit more confinement compared to flash.

Edited by Col

that might some of the issue, my whistle is tame . The report was not as loud as the traditional method. I sent a 1/2 rocket with a 3/4 " tube style header, possibly the slower whistle pushed / blasted the header off rather than bursting ? I'll try to find any remains of the header, but is is in 3" of snow.....the rocket had no pieces of the header attached, only the glue remains / traces.

PS Col: like the pasting machine on the other thread ! I would like to see inside that box from the gears to shell support, look forward to the action video ! amazing machines you build !!!!! thanks again for all the input on the tube roller, I think folks can get a lot of good info in that one thread. I know my tube buying days are slim to none from now on. :)

Matt

Cheers Matt,

To be honest there`s not much in it, a bit of threaded rod, a worm gear and a universal joint.

What comp are you using for the whistle that makes it tame?

Whistle rockets can light Ti, so in theory this should be possible. Maybe the faster exposure time of a whistle salute isn't enough to get the Ti particles lit. What mesh of Ti are you using? If the coarse "grape nuts" stuff seems troublesome, moving to a smaller mesh might work for a proof of concept.

This whistle was Sodium Salicylate at 29% , Red Iron Oxide at 1%, mineral oil 4% PP 66%, it is the same recipe as Ned's on Skylighter. I say tame as it has the lower Potassium Perchlorate and the mineral oil. The mix is fine, great whistle and power. The Ti is listed as -20 +60 It is the first time I tried this particular sponge. I do have some more of my other sponge that I have used before. Seems its worth another try. I can't rule out a mechanical / build issue in that maybe the header blew off rather than burst open. Even then I thought I would have seen some TI sparks. I found the rocket. In day light I may be able to locate header evidence for more information.

Edited by mkn

Yes that is the Ti that I am trying this with. It looks less porous than my other Ti sponge, but still seems it should work. I do have two sizes of the grape nuts stuff from HobbyChem that work with my other Ti snowballs. Like Wiley posted with a BP salute, It just needs to get hot. I am really thinking the header may have blown off more than it burst, but why didn't some of the Ti light? I could not find the header in the snow yesterday. Hmmm...I just need to try,try,try again ! yet another reason for more rockets.

I was afraid of that happening with that titanium. (If that's what it actually is).

I've yet to try it... but if it doesn't work well, it will be the second time I've bought sponge hoping to save a few bucks, only to regret it.

Never again... I'll pay the price from now on.

The stuff mumbles linked to, you can light it with a torch... and it will turn blindingly white... This other stuff doesn't do that.

Edited by ddewees

The stuff mumbles linked to, you can light it with a torch... and it will turn blindingly white... This other stuff doesn't do that.

Other stuff meaning from Caleb? His looks like the same thing that is shown on PCS.

it's not the same thing... i've had both.

I will say that Caleb's stuff looks great though, just different. I bought 30lbs of it, but haven't had a chance to use it yet.

I have it inside of stuff, but won't see that lit until next Saturday.

I might try a salute tonight just to see if it works. I'll post video later tonight.

that would be great DD, Maybe like Col said more confinement so it will heat it up more, Calib posted a nice comet tail with it so it does burn, may just need a little more heat contact time than a salute? I'm off to deer camp this evening for the weekend, just saw a spike horn that I could not grow a second point on to make it legal, nice deer and 6 and 8 inch spikes, that one may get someone in trouble, the 8 inch curves like it should have a second point....