APC Forum

A different style or simply better?

enanthate

A great video on fireworks contest in Japan, 2012.

Makes me wonder, are they far ahead of us, or is it a different style (a matter of taste)?

To me it seems that their shells are simply of higher quality, better timings, etc. Might just be the camera, but it certainly looks like they have better compositions as well (and a wide variety).

I'm just a newbie, so I can't say for sure. Oppinions on this?

Sit back and enjoy these wonderful pieces of art:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRVYagcmQnQ

They are many, many times more precise in their fireworks manufacture than are the rest of the world. Their stars are rolled to a fraction of a mm to get many of their color changes and other effects. I think they probably have access to some chemicals we don't as well as very pure chemicals so they get great color.

Fireworks also seem to be a larger part of the culture and they have more appreciation for the fireworks. Here, crowds seem to like non-stop carpet bombing that is almost sensory overload. There, they shoot shells one at a time so each shell can be observed and enjoyed. Therefore it seems they go for quality over quantity.

At least that's my take on things.

It's exactly what you said, "pieces of art." These are professional manufacturers competing in a contest. No detail is overlooked. We should all strive for this level of perfection.

• Like 1

It's exactly what you said, "pieces of art." These are professional manufacturers competing in a contest. No detail is overlooked. We should all strive for this level of perfection.

No detail is overlooked, no expense is to much.

For reasons unknown, most of "us" never get quite there.

B!

Well imagine you do that type of pyro for 10 years or more 8 hours a day.

No making of bp, helpers, acces to all the materials you need and the ability to spend that much money on one shell (who cares for the prize in a contest).

What do you think where you would stand then?

For reasons unknown, most of "us" never get quite there.

B!

Here, crowds seem to like non-stop carpet bombing that is almost sensory overload.

That is the reason most of us never get there. My audience is more impressed with sky-puke than a crisp color-change and then every star burning out at the same instant. At least we have each other on the forum to appreciate the hard work and effort we put into making a work of art.

• Like 1

Another thing: these are competition shells, and the compositions would use chlorate, which is not used commercially in Japan. I also think they would roll 10x the amount of stars needed for a ghost shell, just to have enough stars for "cherry picking".

That is the reason most of us never get there.

Actually, i think i put the main reason in my post. And yes, i envy them. I would LOVE to blow a couple of 100 bucks on a 6" shell. The finished product might not cost quite that much, but damn close. We do what we can, with the materials available to us, but some things simply has a price that means it's out of reach.

B!

check these out. Not break the bank shells, but very impressive. Just lots of time and precision. :)

Kept watching japanese shells last night, im in love with it.

Funny how I pause between nearly every shell and go "thats genious! I could make a star like that!" and start looking up compositions.

Lots of inspiration to get from this :)

For me, the shells I make are for my own personal enjoyment. If others like them, all the better.

The biggest reason most people never get to that level is simple. Laziness. Experience aside, anyone here could eventually make shells to that level. Too many people focus on shortcuts, half-assed techniques, or trying to make things cheaper. Fastest, easiest, and cheapest is rarely the best.

• Like 1

There are some amazing shells being made. But, IMO, nothing close to those Japanese shells. Many shells are made by artists. I bet their shells are equal parts art and engineering. It wouldn't surprise me if they don't have computer programs, not to create a show, but to create a single shell.

I really don't think there are hobbyists capable of making a shell equivalent to the better shells in that video.