APC Forum

cotton thread

schroedinger

Doubt you'll be able to work BP in to it very well. Spiking... You'll have to play around with it. It might very well be (a fair bit) stronger then what we normally use.

When i look at it i think "candle wick". If your in to that sort of thing.

B!

Agreed, what you have is braided candle wick, it leaves a smoldering mess after it burns when used as QM. Post it on Ebay as candle wick, I am sure an Esty will snap it up!

After trying various cotton, jute, bamboo, hemp string etc., I found this 100% cotton "butchers/bakers twine" works very well.

http://www.shamrockcraft.com.au/productimages/BAK8726.jpg

It has 3 twisted strands, the overall thickness is around 1.5mm and should be able to be picked up at most good craft shops. Don't ask why I didn't try a butcher or baker first :whistle:

The twists don't come apart easily (which is good). My theory is the bp slurry is easily able to penetrate into and around the strands making a very well loaded black match. A final coat or two of NC Lacquer and this has proved to be a very reliable fuse.

It works so well for my purposes that I'm done experimenting :)

btw. I soak the twine in water first, then wring it out before saturating in the slurry.

Cheers.

I can just confirm that, butchers twine is perfect, i always used that too. The cord above was just given to me for free, so i thought maybe it is good.

Fair enough schroedinger. Pity I wasn't aware of butchers twine earlier - would have saved me weeks of experimenting.

btw. did you say 1.6 kms long!

Yeah 1.6 kms.

Butchers twine was the first i used, as i worked at a butcher shop at that time and it looked very nice and was cheap.

Bloody Hell!! - I now see your point for wanting to make good use of it.

I'd be drooling over that prospect too :)

Edited by stix

I use a cheap cotton string with15 strands and untwist the strands with a drill to make different match thicknesses. The single strand is ideal for things with small fuse holes like hummers etc.

In the UK "Spanish Match" is a QM with one big round string and a LOT of powder making a big fat round core. It's expensive BUT when used as intended for Masclettas you can bind the QM with string and slow it down nicely for short time delays. Our deliveries of Chinese match contain either five separate strands or a five strand size rectangular thread, these cannot be slowed by tying, they just go bang.

SO choice of string can make QM for different purposes.

... i worked at a butcher shop at that time and it looked very nice and was cheap.

That gives me an idea - I might get friendly with my local butcher and... oh, hang on... perhaps not. He has very large 'beefy' looking hands and may take my advances in a different context - not that there's anything wrong with that! After-all, I'd be only after him for his lovely 3-ply cotton twine. :wub:

Edited by stix
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
I wanted to test the thread before selling it, i just come out like dag and B! thought it would, not really a god thread if using normal bp +5 gum arabic but it was able to really hold a shitload of comp, so i tried out wetting the string lighly with some kno3 solution (2g per 10 m) and made up a fast bp with + 8 gum arabic and + 10 perc now i got a really interesting black match it bunrs just like normal black match in the open and the speed of quick match can easily be adjusted by using either 1, 2 or three strings from 1 string goving a speed of about 4 seconds per meter, 2 strands giving a match comparable to quick match and 3 strands being at least as fast as commercial quickmatch. But what i really like is that burns reliable even through smal holes and leaves not much much smoldering debris exept for the quick match cover which burns