APC Forum

Government funded CATO

Bobosan

Now, reusable rockets.......

Yup, and my bet is on Musk and Space X to be the winner. Elon Musk and Richard Branson are my favorite entrepreneurial heroes.

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2014/10/28/spacex-to-try-rocket-landing-on-floating-ocean-platform-elon-musk-says/

The speed of that climb, or rather the lack of it... Combined with the size of the exhaust, i'm thinking that thing has to be quite light.

There is of course some controversy about that launch, which i wont get in to. I'm not competent enough to know if thats fake, or not. But it looks freaking awesome.

B!

I hear you.

If you throw enough money at the problem, you can make a garbage can fly, do a cuban eight and land gracefully with handles extended for easier pickup. :)

There are several vids of past testing and if they are fake, it's a damn good job of imagery. If they are real...simply amazing!

...and the latest Oct 15th test

Edited by Bobosan

Yeah, as i said, it looks freaking amazing, and i'm by no means capable to critic the images and say if something like this is the real deal, or has to be fake. I'm just amazed at the tiny fireball, the crazy smoke from the turbo pump, and the rate of ascent / descent. They look freaking tiny, but i assume the "guy" in the basket is scale 1:1 so that lets you get a perspective... It's something like 32m tall according to wikipedia.

B!

The main thing is that no-one was hurt or killed.

"We do these things not because they are easy, but because they are hard" - John F. Kennedy - circa 1962.

Cheers.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/10/31/360450511/commercial-space-ship-crashes-during-test-flight

Apparently a Virgin test flight crashed today, killing at least one of the pilots.

Another anomaly. Say that 3 times fast as you can. :P

At least White Knight 2, the mother ship, made it back okay.