APC Forum

Finely divided Titanium - Pressed or Hand Rammed?

deepdixie

Greetings all from the Deep South,

I have some rockets and helicopters that I would like to add an added effect to. My fuel is 75/15/10 BP. I have some -10+20 Titanium Flake on hand. Would it be safe to hand-ram this Titanium, using Aluminum tooling and a non-sparking mallet? As best I know, the consensus among most pyros dictates that any size Titanium should never be hand-rammed into a rocket motor. I don't have a press. If finely divided Titanium is unsafe to hand-ram with BP, then what else could I use for added effect in Rocket fuel?

The safest thing would be to add just some coarse charcoal.

If you ram the ti/bp mix you can make it safer by using a wooden rammer, but like said before better press the metalls and use them just above the spindle.

Also if you want to use the bp/ti for delay on a rocket, you will get some problem as it burns too fast for a delay

Most rocket builder have used a BP/Ti delay for a nice silver tail with no problems at all. In fact C6 with 10% metal added makes an excellent delay.

Also, using a wooden rammer doesn't make it any safer. It's particle-particle impact that is the issue, not particle rammer.

The lore used to be that things like this were safe to ram under a certain metal percentage (10% or so). I've done it and gotten away with it, but it's hard to recommend something like that.

You may want to look into a small arbor press. They're quite inexpensive, and good for smaller things. I find most of the things I add Ti to tend to be smaller and suitable for one. http://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-arbor-press-3552.html

[edit] ddewees beat me to it.

[edit] ddewees beat me to it.

And the link doesn't work. Has %C2%A0 added to the end, again. What are you trying to do, get me banned? I'm on to you... *stares*

(At least the forum doesn't go nuts as long as the link leads outside)

B!

Edited by MrB
  • Like 1

I believe I am going to have to go with a press for safety's sake. Mumbles, that is a good price for the small arbor press. I just might have to ask the Mrs. for one of those for Christmas.