APC Forum

Storing oxidizers in HDPE.

MrB

So, i've been looking for some bulk storage for quite some time, and just haven't had much luck. Pretty much decided on ordering some crazy expensive shipping buckets from the states, just to get it all over with, when someone gave me a tip on HDPE barrels from ebay.de. Screw on lid, inner rubber sealing lid, and a repulsive garlic smell should make it safe storage. Most of what i got is double bagged and will without problem fit in to one one of these, no modification needed. But my KNO3 and KClO4 was bought in bulk, and i'm quite certain that the sacks wont fit in to the buckets. No matter, i can dedicate a bucket to each, and simply empty them in to the bucket. But... Would HDPE be a safe long term storage material? Or should i get huge freaking zip-bags, and double bag it in 5 kilo packages, just to make sure there is no reaction between the oxidizers and the HDPE?

(I don't expect it to go boom or anything, but i would hate for the bottom of the bucket to fall out 5 years from now, with 3/4 of the content still in it.)

Thoughts on the matter, please? Oh, and once again, thank you for the tip Schroedinger.

B!

Your oxidizers should be fine, but I have no actual facts to back this up just observation. Most plastic bags are polyethylene, they seem to be fine over some time. Some of the stump remover bottles that are sold her in the states that have kno3 in them are hdpe or ldpe.

I would also like to hear if anyone has any real facts on this as I have both those in hdpe jars now.

All seems to be well after about 2 years, but not exactly long term

I find that HDPE is a great storage container . I for the sake of moisture use thick doubled up trash bags to line the HDPE buckets then tie them in twisted knot. This is added moisture protection . Just a experience tip in dealing with large bulk materials .

HDPE buckets with tight fitting lids are excellent. For moisture protection, use a PE bag inside the bucket and add a freshly dried dessicant pack before closing the bag and sealing the bucket lid. Most of us have used this method successfully for long term storage. One more point, keep the buckets away from daylight. A cool, dark and dry storage area is best for long term storage.

WSM B)

So, HDPE drums with PE garbage bags in them, and then fill the bags with the bulk stuff.

The none bulk stuff is already in zip bags, i guess PVC rather then PE, but that should do.

Away from daylight... They will be in one of two bulk freight containers. Got one for oxidizers, pyro-tools and such. This is also where i store "live" stuff, that isn't yet a fireworks unit. Stars, fuse, that stuff.

The other one holds "everything else" when it comes to chems. I try and separate metals from everything else, by putting things in opposite ends of the container. This one is also where i store paper, tubes, and regular tools. (Stuff made with materials that might burn on it's own. Like the lead hammer with wooden shaft, or any hammer with a rubber handle. And so on.)

I'm sure storing things like this leaves a lot more to be wished for, and heck... Where should the sulfur go, really? Anyway. The containers make sure it's out of the sun, but sadly, they them self spend at least a part of the day in direct sunlight, and being outdoors, they pretty much allow things to end up at the same temperature as whatever is outdoors at the time when ever they aren't in direct sunlight. It's dark, and dry at least.

B!