APC Forum

What is 'tampering'?

Ubehage

I found a page on this site, with a lot of recipes for pyro-stuff.

In the part where the Veline-compositions are described, it says "Do not tamper the composition!"

So, what is tampering? And can the Veline-comps be pressed?

Room for improvement? Yes, if getting brighter stars, or "stronger" colors is what is sought after. But the Veline system isn't about making the "best" green, or what ever. It's about providing a color system where the different stars go well with one and other, so you ca mix and match without worrying that one will over power the other. And of course being chemicly compatible you don't need to worry about putting one near another, and expecting weird reactions.

If you want the best red/green/purple/blue and so on... They are elsewhere to be found.

Veline is just easy to use, reliable results, and not THAT expensive... To bad perch is getting extinct in Europe. Thats going to change the pricing.

B!

I found a page on this site, with a lot of recipes for pyro-stuff.

In the part where the Veline-compositions are described, it says "Do not tamper the composition!"

So, what is tampering? And can the Veline-comps be pressed?

Do not tamper the composition could also be translated into dont hit it with a mallet.

Its always safer to press star comps that contain metals.

Do not tamper the composition could also be translated into dont hit it with a mallet.

Its always safer to press star comps that contain metals.

What do you mean by this? Is it specific to certain oxidizers or something? I have been whacking away at wetted nitrate/metal compositions in a brass rammer with a mallet for the past year and haven't had any incidents. Which isn't to say it isn't dangerous, just that I havent' had any. Is this something I should stop doing?

• Like 1

Star comps with a high percentage of metals creates more opportunity for friction between the metal particles. A brass rammer wont make much of a difference safety wise if the star comp is semi crunchy with MgAl ;)

Given the option. it`s always safer to press any comp that contains metal. An accident only needs to happen once.

Edited by Col

Star comps with a high percentage of metals creates more opportunity for friction between the metal particles. A brass rammer wont make much of a difference safety wise if the star comp is semi crunchy with MgAl ;)

Given the option. it`s always safer to press any comp that contains metal. An accident only needs to happen once.

Let me try to understand exactly what you say - comps with MgAl is generally safer to ram than any metal-comp without MgAl?

Anything with chlorate in it is sensitive

Even though I purposely tried to set off a small amount of h3 in a mortar and pestle and with a hammer, nothing happened

I'm not saying it isn't sensitive though

Edited by Milyan720
  • Like 1