APC Forum

Paulownia Surfboard

LambentPyro

I've saved a few large blocks of Paulownia that were so nicely grained and without imperfections, I couldn't bear to cook it for charcoal.

From Wiki;

"Paulownia wood is very light, fine-grained, soft, and warp-resistant and is used for chests, boxes, and clogs (geta). Its low silica content reduces dulling of blades, making it a preferred wood for boxes to hold fine Japanese edge tools. The wood is burned to make charcoal for sketching and powder for fireworks, the bark is made into a dye The silvery-grey wood is sliced into veneers for special visiting cards.[3]

More recently, it is used as body material for low-cost electric guitars and as the core for lightweight touring skis. It is often used in guitars as the core body, then laminated under a more durable wood, such as the Dean ML XM that is made of Paulownia as the body but is topped with mahogany."

I get all my high grade, dressed paulownia from a local board manufacturer. He saves bits he doesn't use (in perfect retort sizes) and gives em to me! What a legend!