APC Forum

willow star with aluminum

eb11

I have been looking for what the effect would look like if you added aluminum to the willow star formula any ideas

if you add aluminum powder to willow star formula you will get bright yellowish effect depending upon how much aluminum you add.

add atomized aluminum powder.

I think the appearance would depend totally on the type of aluminium you added, Compare your intended formula with D1 Glitter, that uses spherical Ali with moderate particle size. Compare also with Slow Gold which contains a lot of Ti flake.

I think the poopcorn glitter or breaking glass comps would be better for you but bot take some Antimony Trisulfide in the mix as well.

Adding fine or atomized aluminum just makes a brighter tail. There is really no sparks or glittering. For glitters, you need to modify the formula more, namely far less charcoal.

If you add coarse aluminum then you may start to get sparks. Some coarse granular/atomized aluminums will need a hotter star than just willow to light up. You may need to use both coarse Al and some fine stuff to up the temperature. If you use coarse flake aluminum, then you can get a nice effect. It will be similar to a firefly type of star. A delayed ignition, and an attractive soft blinking and floating effect. I have a brocade in the Composition section that would showcase this, though there is Ti as well.