APC Forum

Chem and bp Storage Containers?

AldoSPyro

I recently purchased some pyro chemicals, but they are packed in cheap plastic bags. Trying to store and access chemicals from them can get really messy and annoying, so i'm thinking of purchasing some wide mouth containers to store my chems in. I have airfloat charcoal 2lbs, sulfur 1lb, kno3 8lbs prilled, dextrin 1lb. If anyone knows what containers i should get, please comment. Also what kind of container would you store BP mill dust in?

Thanks! :D

-AldoSpyro

This site has a ton of variety, i haven't ordered from them yet but i hope to someday in the future.

They have the plastic tubs that chemicals are usually shipped in as well as many other options like large tubs to mix chemicals in, weighing boats, plexiglass of all shapes, nylon etc. It's a cool site and i want it all

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/default.aspx?catid=574

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/images/products/buckets/81121p.jpg http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/images/products/buckets/81163p.jpghttp://www.usplastic.com/catalog/images/products/containers/66430p.jpghttp://www.usplastic.com/catalog/images/products/totestraysbins/56981p.jpghttp://www.usplastic.com/catalog/images/products/bottles/72461p.jpghttp://www.usplastic.com/catalog/images/products/labware/76367p.jpg

Edited by alexpyro101

LOL - use 5 gallon buckets and gamma seal lids. Your one pound of this and five pounds of that will quickly grow to fill the larger containers....

Kevin O

• Like 1

LOL - use 5 gallon buckets and gamma seal lids.

I've been looking in to this, but cant seam to find a local source of buckets. I might have to give up and order the stuff online. The lids will be bought online regardless, so it's not that big a deal. But 7 gallon buckets from USA to here (saw as seller on eBay) with the lids rack up a rather nasty shipping fee, which i have to pay 25% taxes on. So i've been holding of hoping for some other way to solve it. But the lids are attractive.

B!

I've been looking in to this, but cant seam to find a local source of buckets. I might have to give up and order the stuff online. The lids will be bought online regardless, so it's not that big a deal. But 7 gallon buckets from USA to here (saw as seller on eBay) with the lids rack up a rather nasty shipping fee, which i have to pay 25% taxes on. So i've been holding of hoping for some other way to solve it. But the lids are attractive.

B!

I guess the buckets there are of a different measure? I would still check with a paint store, they often have plastic buckets.

We don't seam to have much plastic buckets to start with, and when we do, for what ever reason, they are shaped differently, so i'm not entirely sure a gamma seal would fit, even if the right size could be located.

http://www.svenskakemi.nu/images/F-hink.jpg

"standard" seals should fit a bucket with a mouth of 12", or, 30.48cm. closest "standard size" i've been able to locate is around 28cm. That said there is a seller on eBay that will ship 10 seals, and buckets, for about 210USD, customs and all taken care of. It's "only" 6 gallon buckets, but then, it's 60 gallons of storage, i just don't have currently. The storage would suit me fine, but it rubs me slightly the wrong way, when i can get the seals them self for slightly over half of that.

B!

I store all my chems in wide-mouth containers from Ebay and Inoxia, and processed powders like BP in normal storage-boxes (the kind you would put your kids toys in and store under a bed). Works as long as you DON'T turn it upside-down :P

B! maybe have a look at the kayak bins produced by curtec and other. They are air and water tight and can be gotten from tiny 3 L up to 55 and more. If you have a look at ebay most times it is quite easy to get them for about 10 + shipping in all sizes.

I really would recommed to stay with just one well know brand, as then all your bins will be the same.

I use the HDPE 3# coffee cans from the firehouse for most things I make, 5 gallon buckets with gamma seal lids for anything I have in larger amounts and deli type containers for small amounts. I also like my containers to be as uniform as possible for easier storage.

I can't imagine a place without 5 gallon buckets. It seems like I've seen things from China packaged in them so I figured they would be everywhere. What does paint, hydraulic oil, and bulk food come in?

I get many of mine as pickle buckets that have a gasket sealed lid. I buy them for $2 from Firehouse subs and the money goes to a firefighters fund. They can be had a little cheaper, but the gamma seal lids are available at Home Depot for about $7.

Paint, and bulk food comes in the ones i linked above. Oils comes in these:

http://www.nordicpack.com/assets/Dunk-Grepp-950x950.jpg

Not specifically the one on the far right, thats sort of rare... Nasty stuff comes in the same shapes, but slightly thicker, often colored plastics, but the general size & shape remains.

We also have the standard steel barrels for oils, of course.

They can be had a little cheaper, but the gamma seal lids are available at Home Depot for about $7.

I think 8 and some is the cheapest i've found them online + shipping. If i could locate buckets, i should have you ship me lids ;- )

B!

• 2 weeks later...

I just got started in this, and last night I bought a bunch of tupperware-type containers to put the small amounts of chems I got in my skylighter kits. (I laughed on the comment about the impending need for 5 gallon buckets in this hobby! I'm sure I will!!) These were just little cheapie containers... Wondering now if that was a bad idea?

As long as they seal as well as original Tupperware. Moisture in the air is not friendly to chems in storage. You might consider small bags of dessicant in each container.

As long as they seal as well as original Tupperware. Moisture in the air is not friendly to chems in storage. You might consider small bags of dessicant in each container.

He's in Utah though... second driest state in the nation. Although it never hurts to take precautions, but humidity isn't an issue we have to deal with.

I just got started in this, and last night I bought a bunch of tupperware-type containers to put the small amounts of chems I got in my skylighter kits. (I laughed on the comment about the impending need for 5 gallon buckets in this hobby! I'm sure I will!!) These were just little cheapie containers... Wondering now if that was a bad idea?

Same thing happened to me! I bought a bunch of containers for around ten different chemicals. Each container barely holds a pound (they vary in size, a pound of airfloat charcoal, for instance, takes up much more room than a pound of sulfur). I'm now considering stocking up on handy chemicals like KNO3, and realizing that buying such small containers was a crappy idea.

I've been double and triple bagging my stuff, and storing it on shelfs. It "works" but isn't very storage friendly, as in, cant be easily handled, and wont stack very well. I'm currently looking at obtaining Gamma seal's and buckets, but quite frankly it is upsetting to see how cheap the seals are, and then having to pay through the nose to get a deal on buckets and shipping, so i haven't got "to it" as of yet. Also, deals i find on seals & lids tend to be "only" 5-6 gallon buckets, i'd prefer 7, since thats the largest it fits... One of these days i'll give in and pull the trigger on something.

B!

I started a topic EXACTLY like this one a little while ago. It is called "Storing Pyro Chemicals". BTW there was a suggestion for a website on there somewhere, and I have since bought from them. They're containers are cheap, airtight, and come in many sizes. They work great! http://www.freundcon...-hdpe/p/v33016/

MrB,

You might consider checking with local restaurants around there. I would think that at least SOME supplies would come in some sort of bulk container similar to our 5 gallon bucket (with a largeish volume and a wide mouth). Pickles for instance (at least in the U.S.). They won't have the gamma seal lid, but should be appropriate to store multiple sealed bags of chems in each container. It won't be quite as nice a stack possibly, but might be a step forward.

I did that. Got a bunch of them, but they all have one thing in common. The lids aren't made for opening and closing, so after only a few uses they are nowhere near "a tight fit" and a couple more after that, and you might as well not have the lid at all. And, sadly, the rim is shaped differently, along with the size being of, so gamma seals wont fit. I simply want something better, even if these were free of sorts.

B!

Ive started rolling my own containers for stars/comp/whatever- the idea was a tutorial on passfire, but essentially just a heavy wall cylinder shell casing, with a heavy paper lid.

You could do the same, but like 10" or 12" and line the inside. If I couldnt get buckets, I would go this direction. (still might actually)

• 2 years later...
That's why you should have a cat. The plastic 25 lb buckets of litter make excellent storage bins (They're probably 4 gal buckets). If you don't have a cat, you can use litter to soak up oil in the garage, or in snow for traction.
  • Like 1

I've got a piece of 10" pvc pipe I use as a former for rolling paper cans for BP and coated hulls. My Rubbermaid commercial containers have been re-purposed for those chems I was sure I would never need more than a pound of ever. :o

That's why you should have a cat. The plastic 25 lb buckets of litter make excellent storage bins (They're probably 4 gal buckets). If you don't have a cat, you can use litter to soak up oil in the garage, or in snow for traction.

I can't bring myself to pay the premium for 'bucketed' cat litter even when you factor in the bucket value, but I will admit they are excellent containers...

You can get very similar 'square bucket' and/or regular 5 gallon bucket containers from local bakeries or even the Walmart bakery for generally no cost if you ask for their empty frosting buckets or dumpster dive the local ma/pa bakeries after hours ;)

Around me you can also get once used food grade 'screw on lid' barrels/drums ranging from 3 gallon to 55 gallon on Craiglist very reasonable...

And last but not least if you have a place like Uline that is local (as they are for me) you can get a plethora of containers for reasonable if you can drive and pickup vs having to pay shipping...

• Like 1