APC Forum

Low Velocity Exploding Target Composition

Wiley

not smart assing...just curious. why would red p tipped rounds be that dangerous?

i realize it is friction sensitive and could easily ignite from bullet travel or from the propellant gasses but it would only burn and perhaps leave a trace of phosphorus pentoxide in the barrel.

Edited by rogeryermaw

Lead is a decent enough conductor that if the tip burns it will also likely set off the powder charge too. And if that round is not in the chamber of the barrel when it does it could hurt... Kinda like how the early machine guns where mostly all open bolt guns (mg-34,42) they didn't want to cook off rounds randomly in a hot chamber. That and cheaper to build.

Anyways back on topic here fellas. I did notice in the patent they mentioned shooting it against a hard backdrop.

Edited by Jakenbake

• 3 months later...
Hey I am new to all of this. What does "perc" stand for? I know that Al is aluminum oxide or aluminum powder, what is perc though? I am trying to make smaller explosive targets.

5 posts, all over the place. 3 of 5 stating that you want perchlorate to make flash, and topping it of with these two proving you know jack all about the topic of flash.

Boomers are shunned. If you really want to get in to pyro, people around here are more then helpful, but nobody is going to help you blow your arms of.

B!

Red P is toxic, so you wouldn't want any in an open environment where it could be knocked to dust and aerosoled to poison the users.

5 posts, all over the place. 3 of 5 stating that you want perchlorate to make flash, and topping it of with these two proving you know jack all about the topic of flash.

Boomers are shunned. If you really want to get in to pyro, people around here are more then helpful, but nobody is going to help you blow your arms of.

B!

Yes, excellent job. I clearly stated that I am new to this and do you honestly think I'd be making it in quantities large enough to dismember any body parts? Come on let's be real here. If you have an actual answer to my question then simply answer it. If not, don't waste your time typing. But I can already tell we are getting off on the wrong foot. I'm Garrett, and again. I am new to this stuff. I have seen a bunch of videos on people who make it and make flash targets. I just would like to make sure I know my chemicals, and their abbreviations before I go ordering shit and mixing potentially harmful and unstable compounds together.

I clearly stated that I am new to this and do you honestly think I'd be making it in quantities large enough to dismember any body parts?

Yes, indeed you did. 4 times in 4 different threads, in a matter of minutes. Asking the same bloody question. Showing all the patience of a teenage boomer.

And when it comes to dismembering body parts. You'll be amazed at how little it takes.

Bottom line remains the same. The information your looking for is readily available on this forum, but you'll need to do some searching and reading, quite possibly you'll end up buying a book or a few, just to figure out what you need to know, just so you can ask questions people actually will dare to answer. If i tell you what you want to hear, and you then go to blow yourself, or the neighborhood in to bits, i'm going to feel responsible. Perhaps not so much for the loss of your extremities, i'm going to blame that on your own stupidity if it comes to that, but the bad reputation reflects back on pyrotechnics, and the hobby as a whole.

We have enough accidents from people who actually "should" know better. It's a fact of life. Accidents will happen. This is nothing but damage control.

B!

Yes, indeed you did. 4 times in 4 different threads, in a matter of minutes. Asking the same bloody question. Showing all the patience of a teenage boomer.

And when it comes to dismembering body parts. You'll be amazed at how little it takes.

Bottom line remains the same. The information your looking for is readily available on this forum, but you'll need to do some searching and reading, quite possibly you'll end up buying a book or a few, just to figure out what you need to know, just so you can ask questions people actually will dare to answer. If i tell you what you want to hear, and you then go to blow yourself, or the neighborhood in to bits, i'm going to feel responsible. Perhaps not so much for the loss of your extremities, i'm going to blame that on your own stupidity if it comes to that, but the bad reputation reflects back on pyrotechnics, and the hobby as a whole.

We have enough accidents from people who actually "should" know better. It's a fact of life. Accidents will happen. This is nothing but damage control.

B

Well i think i have been steered away from using flash for what i am doing.. I really didn't realize exactly HOW explosive or unreliable flash can be.. i'm going to use bp instead of flash. And well, i am going to be 21 right around the corner. And i know accidents will happen but i am willing to take the steps to make them not as likely to happen.

BP won't work for an exploding target.

If you are really just wanting to make a firecracker then BP is a much safer place to start. Just know there is a good chance it might not be legal and definitely isn't legal to transport off your property.

• 6 years later...

I have been in the professional display of commercial fireworks for over 30 years. When I hear of guys making typical flash (AL/Perchlorate) I cringe when I heard of a full pound or more being used like it was a firecracker !! When I make shells or any display item using flash I NEVER prepare more than a few ounces at a time. It requires more work to do this but I have seen hands blown off leaving nothing but a bacon like piece of flesh. If two or three ounces accidentally goes off and is not contained you have a chance of not losing limbs. A POUND.....could easily kill you. Bottom line....stay away from highly unstable mixes. BP is a good replacement if handled correctly.....Static, friction, etc MUST BE MONITORED !! A good idea is contact someone who has several years in pyro. Check out Pyrotechnic Artists Inc. A great club and full of experts.

Why not create something simple? A swinging plate target that had a battery, contact switch and an igniter would fire a charge whenever the target was hit enough to make it move.

• 3 months later...

Yeah, sorry to drag this up, but be cool to have a pellet rifle agreeable mix. Question: Would a percentage of k clorate help in the trisufide/Al/perc mix make it touchier?

I know the adult snaps, like mini torpedoes, go off with a pellet gun. Could maybe be used as a primary for a larger device?

I know the adult snaps, like mini torpedoes, go off with a pellet gun. Could maybe be used as a primary for a larger device?

Huh possibly. But that’s REALLY touchy. Don’t want anything that might pop if I drop it :D

On Edit: I SUPPOSE a chlorate/sulfide containing mix MIGHT. But I have played with it a bit. That bear takes a good poke heh...

Edited by Richtee

I guess I will share my findings on this subject. I have done exhaustive research I have read every thread here and every thread Elsewhere on this project and done a lot of experimenting. Mostly with copper oxide thermite. It has been said that standard copper oxide thermite will pop with a 22 my experience has been that it is not that easy. It will however work very well with a 22 magnum. For regular 22 you will either have to get stingers or maybe CCI Mini mag and even then not totally reliable. What helps a lot is to have it mounted to some type of hard backing. a trick that I picked up is to put a small piece of sandpaper inside the target with the thermite extra friction definitely improves reliability. I was not interested in using flash or anything like that because in order for these targets to be legal you have to pretty much mix them on site. You can't travel with the mix. And who is going to mix up flash at the range? You could do it by binary mixing then it would be Loosely filling your target container thereby reducing reliability. But binary mixing of the thermite and then pouring it into the target container is what I would consider relatively safe. I tried sensitizing of the mix with sulfur and or sulfur and antimony trisulfide but it did not make it reliable.

On a side note does anyone remember back in the 1980s you could go to Kmart and purchase self-adhesive exploding targets dirt cheap. They were 2in by 2in and an inch thick the sides were styrofoam and they were very light. We used to stick them onto a party ball with about an inch of gasoline in the bottom. Oh to be young LOL

On a side note does anyone remember back in the 1980s you could go to Kmart and purchase self-adhesive exploding targets dirt cheap. They were 2in by 2in and an inch thick the sides were styrofoam and they were very light. We used to stick them onto a party ball with about an inch of gasoline in the bottom. Oh to be young LOL

hah..yeah. But today an inch of gasoline’s like... lunch money :D

• 2 months later...

For them to reliably go off with a smaller bullet, you need about 10pcnt sand. It acts as an anvil. Granular MgAl is another option. Red P/chlorate or ammonium salts/chlorates too sensitive. Strike anywhere match tip pieces would be safeish in flash powder. The phosphorus sequisulfide/chlorate/binder is a good happy medium. Unwound paper caps would be even better.

Shooting no.10 cci primers or strike anywhere matches out of a .177 BB gun is really fun. Shoot at a flat rock 10-20ft away. Don't use a BB or pellet at the same time.