Potassium chlorate 39

Potassium nitrate 4

Barium nitrate 6.5

sodium oxalate 3

AF 20

Lampblack 15.5

dextrin 5.5

red gum 6.5 all weights by parts

This formula was offered by Skylighter and the stars really look great. Not being accomplished my concern is the use of chlorate. Obviously, BP or benzolift cant be used as a burst because of the sulfur. Skylighter's use was in mines. I want to use them in typical mortar shells. Would it be possible to construct the shell as usual and confine the chlorate stars in a thin plastic bag to separate from the burst containing sulfur? Or would it be necessary to use some type of slow flash (without sulfur) for burst?

Edited by Merlin

1/ it is quite possible to buy trade, or make DIY sulphurLESS BP. IIRC 80/20 is a fair start ratio.

2/ line the ball shell with stars then put in a tissue paper (or plastic) layer so that the 75/15/10 BP never touches the stars (well until the flame front gets there. Mines, again, put a bag of powder then put the stars outside the bag but inside the case.

You could always prime the stars with sulfurless prime, and then not have to worry. However I dont think stars touching other sulfur-containing components are prone to dangerous sensitivity.

I may possibly use chlorate stars and three component BP, but not for anything to be stored -I'd want RID of them. Sulphurless prime is a good idea.

I use BP prime on chlorate stars. The layers touching each other is not the same as an intimate mixture.

I use this igniter prime for chlorates:

Perchlorate 73%

Red Gum 12%

Air float charcoal 8%

Dextrin 4%

Silicon 3%

Once the stars are coated with this they're safe. It's orange, so you can see how well it covers. It doesn't need to be very hot for chlorates so you can probably skip the silicon. But it does need a BP prime over the top.

Edited by Peret