APC Forum

saran wrap for air bursts

dave321

what are people currently using for airbursts these days ?

the original saran is hard to come by and the "saran" premium is not the same as the original,

as it contains no chlorine

the original is polyvinylidene chloride

what are people currently using for airbursts these days ?

the original saran is hard to come by and the "saran" premium is not the same as the original,

as it contains no chlorine

the original is polyvinylidene chloride

Whats an "air burst"?

From what I've heard, they're still using authentic saran wrap. It's not really available stateside, but it can be imported from China or Japan. Nothing else really works well enough, and has all the desirable properties needed. Apparently, there is still a small market for the authentic stuff outside of pyro. Something about it being ideal for some variety of cheeses. I unfortunately only really know the generalities, no actual sources.

An "Airburst" is, in UK parlance, a small bag of sparkly flash powder used in stage and arena displays for effects above the artiste. They burst like shells but are really tiny.

Most slow flash powders with flitter or flake will work but the bag needs to be just right. Obviously dark pyro ali makes some bang so bang is part of the formulation choices, the flitters can be ali or iron or ti for colour of sparkle, so there are several variants possible.

Maybe have a look for companies witch supply the professional catering and restaurants, this is in europe the only place to get it nowadays, last month it was still avaible but got now banned.

Btw same question as dag, what is an Air Burst?

Also a thing i wonderd some times about i often read in formulas Parlon or Saran, is the Saran used there the same as the kitch foil? So could you just take the foil dissolve it and use it?

From the site that sell these airbrust kits

"All the chemicals you need to make 10 airbursts. Professional, low smoke effects. Comes with 10 initiators, and 10 zip ties. You supply the saran. Comes in silver, soft silver, gold, crackle, and loud. Airbursts are designed to be suspended from fixtures that are at least 18 feet above the ground. They produce a ball shaped flash with sparks. There is very little smoke. Sold with an 3 foot initiator."

I when to the company electicmatch.com and I looked up the kit and this is what they had to said about it.

I hope this help answers your questions about what they are................................Pat

Edited by patsroom

After doing a little reseach on saran wrap airbrust I understand the problem that people are having with them. It seems that saran wrap has removed the PVC out of them and slow the burn of the plastic which causes the undesired effect of after burn for about three secounds. I can see how this would ruin the effect of the brust.

Some people have which to using a turkey bake bag, others are using flash paper in place of the saran wrap.

If this effect was done right it would have a most appealing mid-level ground effect. I think that I would like to give it a try....................Pat

Amongst other things. They're very popular in arena pyro for sporting events as well. Their construction is pretty simple. A slowed flash often containing spark, color, or crackle producing additives. They're basically a 1" ball of slowish flash contained in a saran wrap ball with an e-match in them. The real saran wrap provides a better pop, and no fall out from what I've been told.

I believe Lloyd has said it is available stateside but only in really big (wide as well as long) rolls that are sold to the food service industry. I also think he said the company he worked for bought it by the pallet. Don't know if that was how it was sold or how much they used or got the best price.

Just a caution! Arena effects may be 1" diameter but indoor effects are from 1/8 to 1/2 inch diameter, It's sometimes only 3 metres to the drum skins which don't like sparks. In the UK these are used largely for band sfx hung from the lighting grid.

They are assorted grades of flash with lots of sparkly bits, coloured bits are possible too. usually they are reasonably quiet so it's NOT just 70/30 fast flash. Lots of care with particle size and size mix, lots of care with oxidiser and may be a mix.