APC Forum

A few questions out of ignorance

Merlin

Do paper ball shells need a washer on the time fuse like the plastic ones or do you just hot glue the time fuse? Why is it necessary to tie the cross-match fuse with string instead of a drop of hot glue?

Most of the time I let my enthusiasm places orders. In terms of crossettes, I just got a 1.75 inch from Wolter. I was under the impression these could be launched alone with a break charge. Some of my reading suggests crossettes are used in large shells. I dont plan on making anything larger than 3 inch shells so have I wasted my money on a tool I dont need or can they be launched alone? Some of my comets work but some dont ignite or are blown apart by the lift charge. The crossette is just a comet with a built in break charge. Any suggestions? Thanks

No, glue is suficiant to hold the time fuse but many use pasted string (as do I) to hold the time fuse still.

Tying the crossmatch keeps it put in one place, hot glue is notorious for peeling off, don't try it unless you have a clear field to drop a shell in.

Yes, you can launch crossettes from a tube, there have been many crossette roman candles made doing just that. Use SGRS as a binder and wrap the comet with four wraps of pasted kraft. If that fails, use phenolic resin as the binder but be warned! They will burn a lot longer bound that way.

Edited by dagabu

Thanks Grandmaster.

DR9 tube may work well to launch your crossettes, the minimum ID is 1.81", the lift fuse may make it too tight, I drilled a hole in the base of the tube for a 3" peice of visco and put a pre measured amount of BP in the tube then the comet. Make darn sure it's a cold tube first.