APC Forum

Bleach method for p. chlorate qeustion

Sparx88

I have mixed signals when using the bleach/potassium chloride method of making potassium chlorate.

One tutorial says the boil the bleach until crystals start forming then remove from heat and cool it down in the fridge, during which preparing the saturated p.chloride and water. Cool the saturated p.chloride in the fridge until cold. Then filter out the crystals from the boiled bleach and discard keeping the solution. Then add the p. chloride solution into the remaing bleach solution and then cool for awile until there is no further crytalization. Filter out the crystals and you have potassium chlorate.

The the other method says to combine the two ( potassium chloride solutiuon and bleach) and heat them together until it starts to crystalize and filter those out and then boil the remaining solution again 2 more times saving the crystals. Then take the crystals and add them to distilled water and bring it to a boil then back into the fridge for crystalization, then filter and dry.

Which is it?

I believe I tried the first method a few years back when I was bored. The small amount of yield that precipitated out wasn't the best quality and quite hydroscopic. Assuming you do everything perfect you still end up with a mix of potassium/sodium chlorate. For the price of chlorate (assuming you can get it in your region) it's not worth it IMHO. You can read a little more about it here http://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/topic/9620-alternate-synthesis-of-perchlorates/?hl=%2Bpotassium+%2Bchlorate+%2Bsynthesis+%2Bbleach

You can end up with pure potassium chorate but remember you have to recrystallize the mother liquor afew times. The amount of potassium chorate will be low for the effort but it is do able. ......Pat

From all the reports I've read by people who've tried this method, it seems that the electrochemical methods of chlorate production are much more fruitful. Though setting up a cell isn't trivial, the production of potassium chlorate with one is.

WSM B)

Try youtube mrhomescientist Potassium Chorate from Bleach I think you will find that it will cover the information you need and the methol that is quite useful. I do hope this is some help to you..............Pat

Thank you all. The first method with a couple recrys. sounds to be the one. I don't need a lot of p. chlorate, this is just me wanting to know how to do it and to experiment with a couple chlorate star comps I have found. If they turn out to be good I would judt buy a pound or 2.

Preciate yall.

The issue is that retail "bleach" is a maximum of 5% hypochlorite so there is a lot of water to get rid of, and then there are fragrances and surfactants in all retail bleaches that need to be removed.

The issue is that retail "bleach" is a maximum of 5% hypochlorite so there is a lot of water to get rid of, and then there are fragrances and surfactants in all retail bleaches that need to be removed.

For those who live in the US: If you go to the pool section of Home Depot, they sell 10% sodium hypochlorite (with no added fillers).

If I remember correctly, most liquid bleach has no added fillers, but some do. In the days when they recommended adding bleach to stored emergency water, they said to use "Clorox" and not "Purex", for just that reason. Read the label and you should be fine.

WSM B)

14% sodium hypochlorite W/W is not a problem in the UK.