APC Forum

R-Candy rocket cave ratio

hummeldike

Okay so I have cooked up R-Candy about 3 times now, and I have tried putting thick nails through it to make the caving (for thrust) and each time it just turns into a smoke bomb and doesn't go anywhere. If I have a 1 inch diameter tube how wide of a hole should I have in the middle of the fuel? Thanks.

Hi hummeldike,

I've read your other recent post 'caving process'. btw. not caving, but 'coring' ie. internal core burner.

You obviously have something fundamentally wrong going on with your fuel prep. and I'm very concerned that when you get it right you may hurt yourself or worse, others. When experimenting, you should be starting off SMALL! - 1 inch (25mm) diameter is WAY too big and probably a good thing that it was just a 'smoke bomb'.

Others have given you a lot of advice and ref. to links - if you can't make r-candy from that, then you need to take a step back and work out why. Take it slowly and try again. Perhaps you have contaminated KN03?.

I've been making r-randy for the last 4yrs - both the 're-crytalised' method and the 'melted method'. Both performed fantastic the first time I made them no problems at all.

If you are really hell bent on making it - Please re-read the methods carefully and START SMALL.

Safety first! - Take care.

Edited by stix

@Stix his first question about making r-candy was about 1 month ago, so god time to improve.

@hummeldike

Sry we won't be able to help you with the informations you gave to us in your post above, please answer the following questions to get help.

Sugar and KNO3 powdered and screned before cooking using at least 40 mesh coriander?

Did you use a nozzle and how did you make it, diameter?

For a 25 mm a starting point would be to make a 12.5 mm nozzle with a core of about 17.5 cm

• Like 1

Yep, no probs schroedinger. I've been on this forum for about 2 1/2 weeks but experimenting and making model rocket motors for over 25yrs, sugar rockets for about the last 4.

I did sh*t loads of research, ie. Nakka, Fintel, Jacobs and the like. I did sh*t loads of research. Did I say sh*t loads??... and a lot of time refining my own methods. I'm glad I did, as I have had very few mishaps - no CATO's, just a couple of nozzles blowing out in a harmless direction.

@hummerldike

I'm in agreement with with schroedinger in that you won't get that sort of info here unless you know how to mix your Kn ratios with sucrose, and then granulate - or is it the other way around?.

Either way, if you are really serious about making sugar rocket motors, put some bloody effort into your research!

[EDIT] not sure if 'bloody effort' translates well out of Oz. ????

Edited by stix

Well everyone can hear that you are oz by that words ^^

Also why would you granulate r-candy? 25 mm tubes are big eniught to get casted

. . . Also why would you granulate r-candy? 25 mm tubes are big eniught to get casted

Ummm... I thought that was the point?... why would you?

Sugar Rocket Motors ARE NOT Black Powder Rockets!

A different set of processes require a different set of safety measures, etc.. etc...

[EDIT] Sorry about all the edits. :)

Edited by stix

... unless you know how to mix your Kn ratios with sucrose, and then granulate ...

Sorry, the above was a 'trick' statement. A lame attempt to perhaps entice the op do do a bit of research.

The Kn ratio I was referring to is the Kn of the rocket motor ie. the ratio of surface burning area to nozzle throat cross-sectional area.

This information is a MUST when making bates grains or inhibited ended bates grains/core burners. With a core burner the thrust is progressive over time so it's important that the kn ratio at the beginning is enough for the rocket to take off with enough thrust for stability, and also that the kn ratio at the end is not too much that causes over-pressurisation and ummm... boomsey!!

Cheers.

i have tried PN 60g & sug 40g but when i was cooking with 20 drop of water it gets very dark in color just after when both melts and after that when it was still in much liquid state or i will say when it start to get in a bit thick it suddenly gows off on the pan

y?

what i have to do to make it light in olour

& what i have to do to not make gows of in the pan when i was still cooking?

i have tried PN 60g & sug 40g but when i was cooking with 20 drop of water it gets very dark in color just after when both melts and after that when it was still in much liquid state or i will say when it start to get in a bit thick it suddenly gows off on the pan

y?

what i have to do to make it light in olour

& what i have to do to not make gows of in the pan when i was still cooking?

There are many tutorials for making r-candy on the internet, here's just one.

http://www.thefintels.com/aer/protected/castingsugar.htm