APC Forum

berlau "virgin" kraft

asdercks

Hi guys, I decided to start using kraft paper to paste my shells instead of gummed tape ( more traditonal way), and so I started searching for sources for virgin kraft paper and during my search I came across berlau paper house and I was wondering if any of you guys have any experience using their paper, I'd like to paste 2", 2.5" and some 3" shells using their 40# paper, hope anyone can shere some info

I have a 60lb and 30lb roll of virgin kraft from Berlau. It is perfectly serviceable, but I do not think it is 100% virgin fibers. It takes paste well, but needs to be handled more gently than the paper Tom N sources. I sent a sample to another pyro with a great deal of experience with large cylinder shells and he said the paper was "Okay".

It works for me and is available. It is not as nice as the paper from Tom, but it does the job. Shipping will not be cheap. You might find it does not add much to your total to buy multiple rolls.

From what I've heard(read) Tom's paper is the real deal but I just don't use that much paper to justify spending $100 on Tom's paper, good to know that the paper from berlau isn't that bad,as far as shipping goes it'll be more than the actual price of the roll itself but it'll definitely be cheaper than a roll from Tom.

One of our club members is picking up a load of paper from Berlau this week, the paper works fine

for building most shells. Virgin paper is still the best when you can get it at a reasonable price.

• Like 1

That would be me :)

post-939-0-91419800-1410387551_thumb.jpg

As others have said, Berlau paper is definitely serviceable, but probably not 100% virgin. And there seems to be a bit of an issue with consistency in their products sometimes.

WB

The best bet is inspecting the product when you pick it up to make sure it is serviceable paper for the task.
Having a supplier like Berlau send you a roll or two would be a gamble each time, you never know what
batch of paper you are getting shipped. This would be a good product for someone to source for the next
PGI and sell it at the convention. The shipping on rolls of paper is the expensive part, If everyone knew that
the paper would be available at the convention most people would stock up there.

• 1 month later...

Does uline sell real virgin kraft paper?

Because they sell it at a reasonable price.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Any way to tell if a paper is virgin or not?

Got access to large rolls from a cardboardbox-factory, but they didn't know what i was talking about when I mentioned virginpaper.

I'm guessing there is a way to tell from the fibers?

Wet it fully let sit for 15 minutes, crumple it up into a ball and flatten it out. Did it break in places? If so, it's not virgin kraft. If not then fold it up in the same direction and wring it carefully like a rag. Did it tear? It has recycled content. If not then it is likely virgin.

I got ahold of some sheets 36 x 54 60lb. virgin. This stuff is amazing. pasted and balled it up flattened it out. repeated that 15 times, washed it out with water, balled it up flattened it out, repeated that 15 times. no tears feels like fabric. 20 sheets rolls up and fits in a usps shipping tube. weighs six and a half pounds. I been selling them shipped for 35.00 bucks, Thats a lot of paper for someone just wanting some to work on a few things without having to shell out a hundred dollar bill. https://squareup.com/market/WoodysCreations/kraft-paper-sheets-x

Any way to tell if a paper is virgin or not?

Got access to large rolls from a cardboardbox-factory, but they didn't know what i was talking about when I mentioned virginpaper.

I'm guessing there is a way to tell from the fibers?

When it comes to corrugated cardboard you`ll get more joy asking if they use testliner on the inside and outside or testliner inside and kraftliner outside. These days most cardboard is made solely from testliner which is recycled, mainly because its considerably cheaper but its also more environmentally friendly than using pure pulp.

Edited by Col