APC Forum

Wire Pull Ignition

Scttgrffths21

...I don´t want used safety match and striker paper igniter, because it is very amateur and unprofessional solutions, and it work quite unreliably.

LiamPyro, I think MrB was just teasing Paplik, but this isn't the same thread.

BB is quite right, and i'm sorry it's my bad. I keep forgetting that not everyone is a total insomniac, and reads everything on the forum over and over. I guess i should have left the link, but now BB did, so i wont. Or just been more clear about the fact that i was jesting.

B!

liampyro,

I doubt you will create enough friction from roughing that small piece of wire to ignite the matchheads

therefore I do not think you will have good reliability

BB is quite right, and i'm sorry it's my bad. I keep forgetting that not everyone is a total insomniac, and reads everything on the forum over and over. I guess i should have left the link, but now BB did, so i wont. Or just been more clear about the fact that i was jesting.

B!

Ahhhh I see. Thanks for clarifying! :)

liampyro,

I doubt you will create enough friction from roughing that small piece of wire to ignite the matchheads

therefore I do not think you will have good reliability

That's exactly what I thought until I tried it out. Each of the few tests that I have done so far have been successful, which doesn't mean much, but is a good start. I will try to post a video ASAP.

well there you are, certainly worked on that video :o

rather than a long description of how its made I think a picture (more like several) speaks a thousand words

so how about it?

• 4 weeks later...

i only skimmed over the stuff here so forgive me if this was already said but i have 4 possible designs, ive actually put a great deal of thought into this.

1: surround either a party popper roll or christmas cracker, with high temperature burning, easily ignited material, like say, a non explosive mix of flash powder, something that will burn very hot, but slow. of course flames are liable to jet from the string hole so, safety may be an issue

2: electric glow ignitor: similar to a car cigarette lighter, get a nice chunky peice of nichrome, a lithium battery like a 123A, or 18650, rechargeables with chargers cost like $5, and set it up so you stick a fuse in a hole with the wire, to ignite the fuse, that way you get quick ignition which can be used in a somewhat tactical manner, especially if the grenade and ignitor can clip together so as not to need to put them together.

3: glycerin and potassium permangante. there are many ways this can work, you just need to deliver the glycerin to the permanganate + some fuel mix, though not allot, just enough to kep it burning once it is set off, the stuff is as sensitive as chlorate, to about the same things (metals, sulfur, friction) so consider this.
one method would be to fill a disposeable pipette with glycerin, and block it with some parafin or something, just so long as you can squeeze the pipette to add your glycerin to the permanganate mix, while at the same time protecting it from accidentally starting the fuse. glycerin will leak pretty easily, i think it can pass through small holes and cracks where water wouldnt, due to a lack of surface tension.
Another method would involve using a rod or string, which when pulled, would act as a reverse plunger in a plastic tube (ball or disc at end of string, pulling out all the glycerin when the string is removed.

the safest method would be to use a 1cc syringe to inject the glycerin, with the syringe being plugged up so some degree of force is needed to get it out, but only enough to keep it from leaking out. the syringes are worth less than a dollar each wherever you look, pharmacy or online. when i say syringe i mean excluding the needle.

glycerin takes 20-60 seconds to ignite the permangante however and its tricky to handle as it leaks really really well, besides of course being a neccesary fuel when it initially begins to burn, but once started its incredibly hot and can even ignite thermite.

i think some mix with ammonium chloride and zinc exists though which uses water to initiate combustion which might be more suitable, if you can keep it dry.

4: sulfuric acid + sugar: if your in australia, youll have access to 99% sulfuric acid at any mitre 10 and some bunnings under the brand moflo(w). essentially just fill a small glass or resistant plastic vial, or other container with acid, place it in the middle of the smoke bomb, use a rod or something to smash the container without squirting acid out, and that would ignite the smoke bomb pretty quickly. if you have a tight fitting rubber stopper, it might be sufficient to just yank it out. the amount of acid needed is extremely small so it probably wouldnt effect the smoke at all.

Edited by matchstick

Sounds like something out of the anarchist's cookbook. And it sounds dangerous.

1. Flash powder doesn't burn well unless it's a fine aluminum. And made with fine aluminum it is explosive. Not much middle ground. If it burns with a flame it is hot enough to light a fuse. BP slowed with charcoal, or just not made well, is much more appropriate. Something could potentially be rigged using a popper but probably not very reliable. Most pop more than make a hot flame.

2. Can work but no need to make them as they exist. They make them that plug into a USB to light cigarettes. Look next to the cash register in gas stations.

3. As your long entry alludes to, it would be susceptible to leaking and premature ignition. Which is the last thing you want with flammable pyrotechnics.

4. Same as 3, but with the addition of skin melting acid.

well pyrotechnics are in general, dangerous.

though i have never gone through with any for the reason i couldnt either get visco fuse, or trust myself to make something reliable enough.

Thats why i invented a graphite contacting ( as i happen to have lots of graphite and bad luck with metal contacts due to oxidation) pull pin trigger with a disposeable, small lithium coin cell stack worth 50 cents, that would glow a thin nichrome wire safe from corrosion, but still capable of quickly igniting the fuse mix which would be a tube filled with an aluminium containing poor BP mix, very reliable and long lasting, but requires a bit of engineering, which is why i didnt mention it before.

Chlorate colored smoke mixes however are the only real way to go with smoke grenades, nitrate is all good and fun, and ive seen recipes for ones which burn almost instantaneously with next to no flame, but realistially speaking your never going to justify using it for instant ninja concealment.
What i mean is that candy smoke + pull pin should never go together, much less outside a proper device.

If you are going to make and use a pull pin ignition, what is wrong using them with nitrate containing smoke? Sure, they aren't the best smoke producers but there are some pretty good ones. Try "legendary" smoke mix for one. The addition of wax that is melted and vaporized makes a darn good smoke and is 'safe'. Newspaper soaked in a saturated AN solution makes a surprisingly good and quick to make smoke. But AN's hygroscopic nature makes it basically useless for most things. If you want to make the most smoke per amount of composition, it won't contain chlorate or any of the common oxidizers. Zinc based HC smoke is the king of smoke and still used in combat after 70+ years.

And ninja anything is best left to the movies.

I was more so referring to how nitrates burn way hotter, and in extension create something of a fire hazard compared to chlorate lactose ones. I'm my head the idea is the same as the notion of a controlled gasoline campfire. It just doesn't sound like something that should be done in practical, like throwing an initiated nitrate smoke bomb in a heated scenario like paintball. Its quite difficult to either have it not produce flames or not combust once its done.

Maybe steel wool surrounded with some slow-burning powder to ingnite the fuse and a battery to ignite the wool? Just a thought.

Edited by OblivionFall

They all burn. Nitrates can be made to have a slow controlled burn and are in no way a comparison to a raging gasoline 'campfire'. They just happen to burn a hundred or so degrees hotter than required to vaporize smoke dye and instead go past vaporize to scortch. But not to napalm inferno.

It is very easy to have chlorate smoke flame up and start blowing flame out like a torch and burning the dye up. A good smoke device has more to do with the design of the container and adjusting the formula for burn rate than nitrate vs chlorate. Both can shoot out flames and both can have a nice cool, smoky, smolder.

Neither have anything to do with how they are lit and if a match lights the fuse, or some pull pin device.

Steel wool could potentially work but wouldn't last long In contact with traditional oxidizers. NC would probably work and won't turn to rust after a week.

Edited by FlaMtnBkr

• 2 months later...

Hi,every one.I am a firkwork amateur from China.
My english is not very good,so I hope you can understood what I said.

First idea,you can make Armstrong with match,just mix the match heads and the Red Phosphorus with some glue,take a match head size mixture on a little piece of paper,take a piece of cotton or synthetic thread and bend it to a Z on the middle (just need about 1 centimeter to cover the mixture on the middle) .Cut a inch of black match. Take the black match fuse near the mixture so the fire can light the match.Then paste some glue on the paper and roll it into a stick.Be careful to keep the mixture wet!When you have done,dry the stick in room temperature.You can store this in a cool and dry container for few years,but I don't recommend you to keep it too long,it's easy to made so you can just make it when you need one.

I don't get how to paste picture on this,so I have to describe with words