APC Forum

rolled stars

clarkie752

I was wondering what the easiest star formula is to make rolled stars for a beginner. I just got a small cement mixer from harbor frieght and am looking to try my hand at rolled stars. Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

The fuschia comp from jopetes' "Spanish pdf" rolls very well for me. It is a MgAl and red gum fueled color composition, so any composition of that variety should behave similarly.

Tips: I recommend starting with hand rolling, that's the best way to really learn the process and get a feel for things. Don't be discouraged by early failures, there is a learning curve here, and it's best to avoid wasting pounds of comp. Keep the little stars moving. Use a true atomizer, not a spray bottle, when starting stars. The smaller water droplets are much more effective. Be patient. Many of my early mistakes were due to overzealous application of composition or solvent.

Good luck!

I have an easy blue. Very good for a beginner, however ive never rolled them mechanically, but if I can do it by hand I'm damn sure you can do it with the mixer!

Ammonium Perchlorate 68

Copper Oxychloride 11

Hexamine 17

Dextrin 4

This is one of Blessers Organically fueled Blues.