APC Forum

Boric Acid Safety?

AzoMittle

In compositions that use Boric Acid to control nitrate/Aluminum reactions Sodium bicarbonate will cancel it out, is the same true of the oxalate? or what about other (bi)carbonates such as Strontium carbonate or Barium carbonate?

I searched the forums but found nothing, same regarding the Sodium oxalate pH.

I also remember seeing somewhere that Boric acid is incompatible with either magnesium or magnalium or something but I can't seem to find anything regarding that now. Does anyone know anything about that?

Sodium oxalat consist out of NaOH and oxalic acid, so a strong base and weak acid are combined, this results in a salt which reacts basic. But I'm not sure if it will react with boric acid.

Bicarb will react with boric acid as every other carbonate should do.

Sodium oxalat consist out of NaOH and oxalic acid, so a strong base and weak acid are combined, this results in a salt which reacts basic. But I'm not sure if it will react with boric acid.

Bicarb will react with boric acid as every other carbonate should do.

Bicarbonate is not the same as carbonate. They will react differently. Sodium bicarbonate does not react with boric acid. Try it out. Mix them. No bubbling at ambient conditions. If you heat it, you can drive the reaction though.

The pKa's will confirm this. Acid/base reactions want to make the weakest acid and weakest base combo that it can. In this case that combination is bicarbonate and boric acid, not carbonic acid and "B(OH)2O-".

Oxalate is the same way. Being a much stronger acid than boric acid, will not be protonated by it. I honestly don't know about carbonate. In general, the carbonate ion will react to bicarbonate at room temperature. However the three we commonly use, copper, strontium, and barium, are very poorly soluble in water. Additionally, their bicarbonates tend to be unstable. I really don't know if the instability and solubility would prevent it from being formed, or drive the reaction forward.

Bicarbonate is not the same as carbonate. They will react differently. Sodium bicarbonate does not react with boric acid. Try it out. Mix them. No bubbling at ambient conditions. If you heat it, you can drive the reaction though.

The pKa's will confirm this. Acid/base reactions want to make the weakest acid and weakest base combo that it can. In this case that combination is bicarbonate and boric acid, not carbonic acid and "B(OH)2O-".

Oxalate is the same way. Being a much stronger acid than boric acid, will not be protonated by it. I honestly don't know about carbonate. In general, the carbonate ion will react to bicarbonate at room temperature. However the three we commonly use, copper, strontium, and barium, are very poorly soluble in water. Additionally, their bicarbonates tend to be unstable. I really don't know if the instability and solubility would prevent it from being formed, or drive the reaction forward.

I can confirm this. I did not test Sodium oxalate with anything however.

Boric acid + Sodium bicarbonate + water = No noticeable reaction

Boric acid + Sodium bicarbonate + water + heat = Bubbles, I could not tell if this was from an actual chemical reaction or simply the water boiling however, or both

Sodium bicarbonate + Strontium carbonate + water = No noticeable reaction

Boric acid + Strontium carbonate + water = No noticeable reaction