APC Forum

Winokur #40's Barium Carbonate Issue

AzoMittle

I have a copy of the "I haven't tried all of these, I don't think many people would have...here is Robert Winokurs 40 Glitter Formulas." PDF

Winokur #40 in this document is listed as:

51 Potassium Nitrate
19 Charcoal Airfloat
12 Antimony Trisulfide, Chinese Needle
08 Aluminum, atom, spher, 120-325 mesh, 20 micron
05 Barium Carbonate
05 Dextrin
05 Barium Carbonate
02.5 Magnalium, granular, -60 mesh

Use 2% barium carbonate for first prime layer

Why is barium carbonate listed twice? Is this a mistake? edit: I made a spreadsheet to compare all 40, this is the only one that does not contain sulfur. I think it is a reasonable assumption to make that one of the barium carbonates is supposed to be sulfur. Never assume though.

When it says to use 2% barium carbonate for the first prime layer, does that mean to use whatever prime I want but to add 2%? Is there a given prime for these?

I have heard that the original Winokur article is in Pyrotechnica II, however no one actually seems to sell it or have it available. Skylighter has had it listed as Out of Stock for as long as I've checked. Does anyone have a copy that I could look through or even buy off of you?

edit: Many of the formulas do not add to 100, the range is 91-107.5. While I realize they don't have to it does seem strange when most of them do. I am starting to think this transcription of the original document contains errors.

Edited by AzoMittle

Winokur #40

Potassium Nitrate 51

Charcoal Airfloat 19

Antimony Trisulfide, Chinese Needle 12

Aluminium, atom, spher, 120-325 mesh, 20 micron 9

Barium Carbonate 5

Dextrin 4

Magnalium, granular, -60 mesh 2.5

Its not necessary to add each formula to 100 all the time.

http://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/topic/67-winokurs-40-glitter-compositions/?hl=winokur

Edited by swapnilsutar1988

No, that's OK, there's no sulphur involved. You already have trisulphide in there. The formula is correct.

When it says to use 2% barium carbonate for the first prime layer, does that mean to use whatever prime I want but to add 2%? Is there a given prime for these?

Greenmix. The barium carbonate seems to be some kind of burning retardant.

I don't know why this extra carbonate is used in the prime, but the developer must have had something in mind...

It's called 39j by the way.

Mabuse is correct. That formula is Win39j, not the real Win 40. Win39j is a modification made by Jack Drews and Tom Rebenklau. Jack Drews runs/ran American Firework News, and is also the developer of D1. Win 39j is just 39 with 2.5 parts coarse MgAl, which adds an attractive effect to it. The double listing of barium carbonate is an error and should be omitted. There is intentionally no elemental sulfur in that mixture.

I have a copy of Pyrotechnica II at home, and can check for the real Win 40 this evening.

The pdf you found was created from a poorly transcribed listing that was made for APC probably 10+ years ago. I corrected all the errors in the version here 4 years ago, but apparently never included #40. The link provided by swapnilsutar1988 should have correct formulas.

Did he ever publish more than what was included in his article? I wonder if he ever found a suitable red/ pink glitter. Rumor has it that someone at pgi this year was launching pink glitter comets!

It could be matrix comets, making colored glitter is very difficult IMHO.

I lied there is no real #40.

D: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Win39j is a modification made by Jack Drews and Tom Rebenklau. Jack Drews runs/ran American Firework News, and is also the developer of D1. Win 39j is just 39 with 2.5 parts coarse MgAl, which adds an attractive effect to it. The double listing of barium carbonate is an error and should be omitted. There is intentionally no elemental sulfur in that mixture.

Good to know, good to know. I was wondering who made D1, I was guessing Degn. Oh come on though, when *doesn't* 2.5 parts MgAl add an attractive effect? ;)