APC Forum

how to purify KCl any ideas?

abbykarim

i can easily get murate of potash at about 66% purity KCl (white potash) in agro stores as a flower and fruit booster......any ideas how to further purify this... i want a higher purity KCl for my perchlorate cell!

Do you know what the other ingredients are?

Edit: You might check your local grocery stores too. I can find 40# bags of relatively pure KCl sold as water softener for less than 20 bucks. Be aware that many water softeners are also NaCl, so read the bag. Check Walmart.

Edited by BurritoBandito

i looked for water softener here, none of it, couldnt even find lite salt or no salt

Then I'd recommend looking up the MSDS for the fertilizer you have available. The approach to cleaning the impurities is going to depend on what they are. I would guess fractional crystallization is going to be your best bet.
  • Like 1

How did you figure out that your kcl is just 66%?

read the manufacturer specs

Did it say 66% KCl or something along the lines of 66% available potassium? TaiwanLuthiers makes a good point about the NPK rating. Did the bag actually show the NPK level?

n...no npk level....just a bunch of faded chinese and then a 66%Kcl

Can you maybe take a picture of the bag, then i will have a look if i can find a msds for you, with that we are ready to help you.
  • Like 1