APC Forum

Rooto

Arthur

I need to remove a stump from the garden -much too close to do it the noisy way! IIRC Rooto is for removing tree roots and is pot nitrate, am I right?

Will someone copy the root removing instructions from a rooto bottle and post it or PM me please. I have a little pot nitrate and could use it to get rid of a root.

The stuff i know says: drill 1/2" holes into the stump as deep as possible, fill 3/4 with stump remover, fill with petroleum/kerosene and light. Only works god with a dry stump.

I don't have that same brand of stump remover, but my "Hi Yeild" is KNO3 as well, and the instructions read as follows:

Use this product to remove nuisance and unsightly stumps. Hi Yeild Stump Remover decomposes the wood of tree stumps leaving them porus right down to the root tips. This allows for easy removal or burning of the stump. Hi Yeild Stump Remover is harmless to vegetation surrounding treated stumps. For removal of stumps up to 12" in diameter, drill a 1" hole in center of stump approximately 10" to 12" deep. Drill an additional 1" hole into the side of the stump approximately 3" below the top of the stump. This second hole should be slanted to connect (or nearly so) with the bottom of the center hole. Drill several sets of such holes for stumps larger than 12" wide. Pour approximately 1/4 lb. Hi Yeild Stump Remover into each hole. Fill each hole with water. Allow to stand for 4 to 6 weeks.

If stump is to be burned, refill holes with kerosene or fuel oil. Allow sufficient time for the liquid to be completely absorbed into the stump.

Then apply a slight amount of kerosene over stump and ignite. Or burn charcoal on top of stump or around base to start stump burning. The stump will burn with a smoldering, red glow, clear down to the roots, disintegrating stump to ashes.

There is then an image depicting the placement and orientation of the holes. The image shows the holes drilled in such a way that the cross section of the stump appears to have check marks drilled into it.

If needed I wil post pictures, bit hopefully my description is adequate. It's quite a pain to take the pics, transfer to my computer, resize them, and upload them. Just let me know if you need them.

Edit: Wait... I know Rooto makes a H2SO4 drain opener, but do they make stump remover as well?

Edited by BurritoBandito

BB's instructions for stump remover are what I used to remove an approximate 12" diameter stump. Be aware that if you do light the stump after a few weeks, it will smolder & burn large underground roots for quite some time, like days.

It should be noted that this "burning of stump" might have it's own risks. DON'T do it is your soil is dry. Root fires can spread to and from everything underground. Place something over the stump to shield it from rain, and do it after a summer rain or something. It should limit the risks of it spreading out to far.

A mate of mine took down 2 trees, and did like this, anded up killing 200square meters of grass, burning down 6 trees root systems, killing them, while the trees them self looked quite well "at that point" and his lawn was smoking for weeks. After having got the advice to do it this way from a neighbor, he was sort of upset. Turns out there was an longtime low groundwater level, caused by a long dry season, and anyone with half a brain would have known not to start fires at that point, but still.... Be careful. I actually think it's illegal to do it this way over here, reason being the "risks" involved.

B!

OK I'll try drilling holes and pouring nitre in, It's a sycamore that's within inches of the house so I wouldn't even fire it, but I've tried before and it keeps regrowing. I'd like to coal it but first priority is stopping it breaking up the house brickwork.

directions i've read include burning among them, however, i have also read about drilling in the same manner, packing the holes with nitrate and pouring boiling water in the holes then letting nature do the rest. this treatment is supposed to speed up the rotting process.