APC Forum

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Yesterday
  2. Sulphurstan

Orange star problem.

If you're looking for orange, you could try the veline orange, I found it pretty nice in hue.
  3. sachinagg

I ask everyone

For example, arsenic was used in some fireworks long ago to generate a blue color, but manufacturers soon realized that arsenic was too toxic to be used in firecrackers and stopped implementing that clever solution. This is from Google
  4. sachinagg

I ask everyone

In past time Paris green use for blue and Paris green contains much arsenic, that why this used for blue. Arsenic trioxide is very similar to Paris green.
  5. Zumber

I ask everyone

No not all time we are right always....we all are learner till we die...If you have such article please share it would benificial regarding boosting our knowledge. But be sure dont experiment it unless you know its hazards. Arsenic compounds are sensitive.
  6. sachinagg

I ask everyone

Mr. Zumber u r always right. I read this, in past time arsenic compound use for blue and blast powder may be I wrong. But i try where I read this , I will send u😌
  7. Zumber

I ask everyone

I have seen old formulation diary of our grandpa they were using just for white star. It seems it wont be suited well for blue shade. For flash it is too sensitive. I had samples of both realgar and orphiment 5 years ago but not now.
  8. Craigo

Issues making black powder/gunpowder

I got the saltpeter, it's in tiny tiny balls, white as snow, so I imagine this is the good stuff. Only charcoal left I guess, thanks to everyone who helped me!
  9. Crazy Swede

I ask everyone

Arsenic pentoxide (As2O5) and arsenic trioxide, or arsenous acid (As2O3) have been used in pyrotechnics. Both are very toxic but the pentoxide is the worst. There is no reason to even think about using them!
  10. Craigo

I spoke to a family member that works in the industry and told me he could get some potassium nitrate either later today or after the weekend, so I got that covered. I'm still looking for a metal can to make charcoal out of newspaper though
  11. CountZero

I think this is what you want....
  12. sachinagg

I ask everyone

In old days arsenic compound use for blue shade and flash powder (poisonous and toxic). As Mr. Zumber said in modern pyrotechnics is not common.
  13. Zumber

I ask everyone

You must be talking about orpiment or realgar ( As2S3 or As2S2). Both chemicals have been used historically but not common in modern pyrotechnics. I really dont have heard or read about arsenic oxide use in fireworks.
  14. Arthur

Your teacher probably means that you should check everything that you have and have done -this is part of the learning process, often more is learned from a failed experiment than from a perfect success.
  15. Craigo

It is for a school project, I have asked my teacher to give me some clues as to what I've done wrong (after I failed the first time) and she told me to figure it out, so no help there. I don't know what a safety data sheet is, I searched it up and it doesn't really help me
  16. CountZero

Npk around 13 0 46 is what you want. If in doubt try to look at the safety data sheet.
  17. Manolo11

Sticky phenolic resin

My barrel is of stainless steel, I'll try 2%
  18. Manolo11

Sticky phenolic resin

I can't do that because it ruins the color.
  19. MADBOY

I ask everyone

Arsenic oxide use anyone in here? If anyone use it please tell me I want to know more details about it.
  20. MadMat

Sticky phenolic resin

I have never tried to roll stars with phenolic resin in them. Every time I've used phenolic resin I have either cut or pumped the stars. To be honest, even though I built a small roller, I rarely use it. About the only time I use it is to make color changing stars.
  21. Last week
  22. Arthur

If this is for a school project, perhaps the school can find potassium nitrate from a school laboratory supplier and let you have the required quantity.
  23. Craigo

Very kind of you to offer but I live in Romania, the shipping cost would probably be more expensive than the saltpeter itself. I will keep looking and asking around for at least 10 grams of this stuff. I will try the newspaper instead of the popsicles, all I need is to find an old paint can. So none of the N-P-K combos I found above work, right?
  24. Richtee

Sticky phenolic resin

Also, perhaps the comp is β€œmelting” your roller barrel? Seems like an aggressive solvent ya got going. Or...maybe just 2% PVB
  25. Richtee

Sticky phenolic resin

Hmmm..what about dusting the roller barrel with pulverone/fine BP? Be a prime and maybe help with the sticking... like flouring the bowl to mix a dough?
  26. Richtee

Potassium Oxide? WTH... that label is BS. Guess I don’t know where yer located, but I’d send ya a pound for shipping cost. Hell..I’ll toss in the sulfur too. And try the newspaper.
  27. sachinagg

New tool

πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”
  1. Load more activity