APC Forum

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Today
  2. nordicwolf

BP for Thunder Mugs

Various thunder mug manufacturers mention Fg-FFFFg for use in their devices. Can meal directly from a ball mill also be used? Or would I need to puck/corn or otherwise granulate homemade BP for use in a thunder mug? I am curious because the instructions I have read and videos I've seen all recommend ramming the BP before putting in the bread, hotdog bun, etc, to seal the bore. I suppose the FFg granules are so hard they won't crush, but I have no experience with commercial FFg. For those who use homemade BP in a cannon, what is it? Meal? puck/corn (water only)? dextrin added to BP, wetted, then granulated? and of course sieved to the appropriate size? I guess it boils down to...lift granules or rocket BP? Thank you.
  3. Yesterday
  4. Crazy Swede

Spolette Position

Can you post example links?
  5. taiwanluthiers

PbO2 anode? Make It at home.

Yea I don't know if I'd want to make lead dioxide anode myself anyways, as you can just buy it from China. I speak of using it for making chlorate/perchlorate. The picture shown is just cathode. I cut a slot into the Ti stick and just jam the plate on, and then tack weld it together. Fusion weld only because Titanium filler rods are expensive. Really Titanium welds like stainless steel, uses the same process (DC TIG welding). I just blast it with very high current (about 150 amps), and make sure the argon flows for at least 10 seconds. Most stick welder can go down to about 10 amps or so. My trouble with using a computer power supply is you have no control of the voltage or amperage.
  6. Zumber

Spolette Position

Good to all..!! I have seen many times in youtube videos while manufacturing Ring pattern shell or smile emoji pattern or sometimes in bow tie shells the time fuse is positioned near equator of hemisphere joint than attatching like regular center position. Is there any reason behind it? Thank you
  7. kingkama

The idea could work, but the amperage would be too much a good covering Is obtained if less than 0.08 amp are used, a bigger current would for the alpha form of PbO2. The alpha form would not be reliabile and not endure the Cell pH
  8. redbullzuiper

Pine resin instead of red gum

Lol, I wonder too. Probaly because it has all colors and is fairly easy to make? I only liked the blue, the rest is very badly saturated indeed.
  9. Crazy Swede

White star composition

Antimony trisulfide is no big deal in fireworking when it comes to toxicity because of its insolubility. Just wear a simple dust mask and you will be ok. Its combustion products may be another thing but it has been used for over 200 years in pyrotechnics without causing much trouble to the workers and spectators.
  10. MADBOY

Handmade star roller

Thank you broπŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€
  11. Zumber

Handmade star roller

CoolπŸ˜€
  12. Zumber

Burst charge

Flash powder is only used for very small size cake. Flash powder is extremely dangerous if one is not familiar of its knowledge. For shells Black powder coated over rice hulls/rice puff/ cotton seed is used as a burst charge and in grain forms too. According to shell size and requirement busrst charge could be BP burst KP burst but chlorate burst is very sensitive ( both friction and impact plus imcompatibilities with other chemicals specially sulphur) and dangerous to use. You should stay away from this chlorate burst and switch to BP burst.
  13. MADBOY

Handmade Star roller

Handmade star roller https://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/topic/14838-handmade-star-roller/
  14. MADBOY

Handmade star roller

My friend make it. I am very proud to my friend
  15. Dragon99

Burst charge

Hello, i have a question. Can i use this burst charge instead of flash powder? KClO3 3.8g C 0.7g
  16. Zumber

White star composition

Just simple white peony star effect is acieved using Barium nitrate potassium nitrate sulphur magnelium dextrin. Or by using fine flake aluminium and magnelium together. Antimony trisulphide is toxic.
  17. Zumber

Green effect composition possible???

No it wont. Also amount of barium carbonate is excess. Sometimes lampblack or charcoal is added to red star formulations but its amount is very little. I suggest not to play with chlorate.
  18. MADBOY

Pump star dice

Thank you my ftiend
  19. Last week
  20. You can also visit this URL, thanks to you @mx5kevin I have hosted the static files on railway. https://pyrodata-production.up.railway.app/pyrodata/index.html I am creating a website dedicated to pyro, but ... knowing myself it will take some time before its finished
  21. ThunderEx

Pump star dice

It also looks like it's made out of steel, which is just madness... but that goes well with your nick name........ hmmm.
  22. taiwanluthiers

My question is, has anyone tried using a stick welder as a constant current supply? I did some titanium welding today... not the best but it works. I found very high weld current, enough to quickly melt the metal and fuse it is necessary. The middle was where I tried to attach it, but it wasn't a good fusion (full of impurities because I couldn't keep the gas flowing before the titanium cooled). Once I understood that very high current is needed I was able to fuse it better. Both rod and plate is grade 2 titanium. If I get a MMO anode or whatever that isn't already welded, I can easily do that. As far as I know, TIG and stick welder is constant current, meaning the voltage adjusts itself to get the desired current. MIG welder is constant voltage it seems. The edge roughness is me attempting to cut the Ti plate with a plasma cutter. Angle grinder cutting discs had extremely hard time cutting titanium, but plasma just cuts it like it's not even there. It throws white hot sparks everywhere though.
  23. Crazy Swede

White star composition

My favourite white star formula in the non-metal fuelled category is: 62 % potassium nitrate 18 % antimony trisulfide 18 % sulfur 3 % dextrin It might be too quick burning for some applications but I guess increasing the amount of fuels should reduce the burn rate without making it less white.
  24. Crazy Swede

Green effect composition possible???

No, greenish yellow at best. You need a chlorine donor, or an additive that helps the chlorate to release chlorine, but the charcoal will destroy the green emission anyway. Charcoal can only be added in small amounts in green and blue flames, unless it is course and only contributes to a tail.
  25. WSM

I had success (9 years ago) using a power supply with constant voltage (CV) and current (CC) capability. By adjusting the power supply to maximum voltage and ramping the current up slowly from zero, it ran in CC mode and the Current density I chose was 0.1 A/cm2 of Anode area, and the voltage was stable at about 4.2 Vdc during the run of about 70 hours for a 3 liter cell. This was using a commercial lead dioxide on titanium mesh anode (from China) surrounded by two solid titanium cathode plates. Everything ran reasonably well and produced NaClO4 solution which, after destroying residual chlorate with SO2, made chlorate-free sodium perchlorate solution (useful for making potassium perchlorate by metathesis with potassium chloride solution, which I did). WSM
  26. PhPyro69

Phenolic resin

Hello pyros What is the difference between a thermoset and thermoplastic phenolic resin. Which is applicable for the use of pyrotechnics. i assume thermoplastic because ive seen that term here in forum. I will use phenolic resin as alternative for red gum in star composition. also, can i use phenolic resin as a binder and drop the dextrin? In terms of fuel value, i heard that phenolic resin has a higher fuel value than red gum.
  27. Is this composition possible for green effect? - Potassium chlorate: 50% - Barium carbonate: 25% - Charcoal: 15%
  28. Dragon99

White star composition

Thanks.
  1. Load more activity