APC Forum

Tooling Repair, Rammers, Rocket Tooling Sets, Now Taking Orders

dagabu

Once again, I am back in the shop and have a good selection of metals ready for tooling, repairs, etc. This is all special order except for the 1/2" sets, the end burners are in stock and ready to ship.

Do you have a bent spindle? Want to turn one into a whistle spindle? Need rammers for that new spindle? Want to make shorter rockets? Stingers? Drivers? Fountains? Go to http://www.flashnet.dk/rts/ and design your tooling, I will give you a price, materials selection and a delivery date.

If you are BRAND NEW to rockets and want to try it out without spending lots of cash, I have a try-and-buy lending program for you to try out. No skills, past experience or prior knowledge is necessary to make your first rocket! Everything but glue, a stick and hammer is included, you just pay for shipping (about $2.50 CONUS) and shipping back to me when done.

First timers made over 150 rockets at PGI this past summer, only sparse instructions were given, every rocket worked!!!

Post comments here, PM me for my email address, all payments will go through PayPal.com.

Dave

Dag,

Do you have specs for 1# universal tooling?

Yes, I purchased the rights to make and sell Steve LaDukes UH tooling several years back. Keep in mind that I will not copy Ben Smith's or Rich Wolters designs or specifications, please go to them for their versions of the SLD UH tooling if you like the changes they have made.

For the UH sets, you may wish to email SLD for a price, I give him first rights of refusal for his tooling. Will I lose some business doing this? Yes, but Ben and Steve are friends, I don't step on their toes.

I see. Spotted the 1# UT on Wolter site but couldn't find Ben Smiths site at the moment.

So if specs are different depending on who is making them, are they all considered UT in regards to SLD's original design? I'm talking about spindle specifications in particular. I like the idea of possibly making 11 different devices on one set of tooling.

Steve's is the original, Rich and Ben both changed the specs slightly to avoid using Steve's design directly. Yes, Ben's spindle is different but very usable, some say better, others say it's not. 11 devices and MORE! there was a thread on Passfire where the total was upwards of 20 but some were just incremental changes.

Ok, so based on what you mentioned, the primary attribute I'm seeking is the best tooling configuration for BP fueled rockets and other devices. Not too interested in whistle at this point but there may come a time.

As a rocket aficionado, which would you choose? and why?

Edited by Bobosan

The UH set, www.firesmithtools.com is Ben's site. www.firesmithtools.com/#/universal/ is the UH set.

Thanks for the info, Dag.

Why? Because Ben uses brass for the spindle, he allows the spindle to be removed so a spacer can be used to pull the motor off. It can make over a dozen different rockets and is the best deal around.

Ok...sounds good. I'm still comparing the vendors offerings. Brass or bronze over a stainless spindle? Pros and cons?

Brass is non sparking and a quite strong metall.

I would ether go for brass or stainless but have concerns about aluminium.

But with brass being the preffered material.

Thanks schroedinger. Yeah, I've already decided against aluminum spindles based on my experience with Skylighter tooling.

Brass is non sparking and a quite strong metall.

I would ether go for brass or stainless but have concerns about aluminium.

But with brass being the preffered material.

Metallurgically, that makes no sense. Aluminum has no carbon, stainless steel does, it doesn't gall as easy as stainless steel, the list goes on. The only negative for aluminum is it is relatively soft but the T-6 can be heat treated.

Ofc thats right. The concern about aluminium wasn't about sparks, only about aluminium being soft.

My biggest concern there would be the part where a the spacer gets used to pull the motor appart, i wouldn't trust aluminium to withstand those forces for any long time.

Hey Dave,

I appreciate the plug, but I just need to clarify a couple things.

In reference to Steve's Universal tooling that Rich and I produce. Several years ago I did produce this set to Steve's spec's. Steve did receive a percentage of each sale. Over time, I found that this setup didn't perform in the manner I wanted. At that point, I started with a blank sheet of paper and developed my own Universal set. Steve and I then parted ways. I switched all of my spindles to a bronze alloy 3-4 years ago. Tough as nails but completely non-ferrous.

Again, this isn't a big deal but I just want to squash any rumor that my design is to simply get around producing a set identical to Steve's.

Hey Dave,

I appreciate the plug, but I just need to clarify a couple things.

In reference to Steve's Universal tooling that Rich and I produce. Several years ago I did produce this set to Steve's spec's. Steve did receive a percentage of each sale. Over time, I found that this setup didn't perform in the manner I wanted. At that point, I started with a blank sheet of paper and developed my own Universal set. Steve and I then parted ways. I switched all of my spindles to a bronze alloy 3-4 years ago. Tough as nails but completely non-ferrous.

Again, this isn't a big deal but I just want to squash any rumor that my design is to simply get around producing a set identical to Steve's.

Thanks for the info, Ben. Dagabu did mention spindle differences that you and Wolter produce so as not to infringe on any patents, rights, etc.

Can your modified spindle still produce a variety of rocket types? I'm looking at BP rocket use only at the moment.

On another subject concerning tubes, or the soon to be lack of NEPT tubes, I'm assuming that you turn your spindles for NEPT dimensions. What is that ID diameter for a 1# tube? What about 1# tooling made for NEPT tube specs but using a tube ID of .780? How big a problem is this going to be with Hunter's tubes?

Edited by Bobosan

In all reality, just about any type of motor can be produced on a core burn spindle. Whistle, BP, Strobe, etc can all be made on any of my Universal, Super BP or Nozzleless tool sets. Your choice simply amounts to a personal preference. The Universal set has a spindle that is a bit shorter and fatter than the other two. In practice, this means you can use a hot BP fuel with a nozzle and get good performance. The Super BP set would require a slower, more traditional BP fuel if you wish to use a clay nozzle since this spindle is a bit taller and skinnier. Outside of that, any of these sets can be used with a multitude of other fuels to make just about any type of rocket you'd like.

In reference to the tube ID question. .780 is a bid too large for my preferences. I make everything to .750" diameter. I wouldn't panic too much about tubes. I have a feeling a few months from now everything will be fine. To get yourself started, just get the cheap 1lb (.75" ID x 1" OD) tubes from any of the regular pyro suppliers. They will work fine for hand rammed BP motors.

So that's .030 difference, .015 per side. A lot of wiggle room don't you think? Is there a way to compensate for that other than wrapping the spindle base in tape?

Moot point now as it appears Hunter's quest for tubes has been canceled.