APC Forum

lemon yellow stars

pex

• 4 months later...

Compare:

I mixed green 88% and yellow 12%.

Which green and which yellow?

A good yellow is a mix of red and green. A formula where barium and strontium are exchanged would be a good starting place. Like independence red/green or the red rubber stars. 55 parts green and 35 parts red is a good starting point and adjust to your tastes. This is an optical yellow versus a sodium yellow and should be closer to the lemon yellow you're looking for.

Edit: no, they don't add up to a 100

Edited by FlaMtnBkr
  • Like 1

As far as mixing colors, I use about 62:38 Green:red for my yellows, and 45:55 for my oranges. You can play to get the hues you like. It may depend a little on which formulas you're using too. Let us know how they turn out.

Veline yellow (55 Veline green, 45 Veline orange) also gives you a lovely lemon yellow: http://www.pyrodata.com/compositions/Velines-yellow-star

The formula is more complicated than the above suggestions, so it usually only makes sense if you're doing Veline colors anyway. I've only tested a little of it, but I really liked the color - not greenish at all, and not sodium-yellow. Plus, it uses cheap-as-dirt calcium carbonate (chalk) instead of strontium. I imagine that this makes it easier to fine-tune the color as well, as the range is smaller.

• Like 1

This may do the trick for you; I got tired of "sodium amber" and tinkered with the addition of "barium green". The formula can be rolled or cut, 35% alcohol works great, but a graded prime is recommended (or a hot inner prime). The hexamine may be ommited but it does help intensify the color a bit.

BRIGHT 'REAL' YELLOW STAR Color is a true lemon yellow, not amber Barium Nitrate 40 Potassium Perchlorate 14 MgAl, -200 or -325 m 12 Saran 10 Cryolite 8 Red Gum 4 Sulfur 4 Hexamine 4 Dextrine 4 % 100

As much as we see streetlight "sodium" lights I like to avoid bare sodium yellow too!

From some ole notes a formula with no perch, 58% Ba(NO3)2, and 7% cryolite produced a yellow-green... the formula posted, however, produces "a pretty deep color, real lemon yellow- not amber, fast burn, and for some reason having both sulfur and hexamine intensifies color." It has been a while since these were tested but any feedback is appreciated!!

• 1 month later...

Organic lemon-yellow composition:

KCLO4 - 30%
Ba(NO3)2 - 35%
S - 21%
Sodium bicarbonate - 4%
Charcoal (airfloat) - 5%
Dextrin - 5%

VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOtmJmSCYmA&list=PLsqljukXTx1-U7_bVGQQRdmAO7jIZDCDL&index=1

Metallic lemon-yellow composition #1:

KCLO4- 30%

Ba(NO3)2 - 30%
PVC 10%
Mg/Al (~ 100 mesh) - 15%
Charcoal (airfloat) - 5%
S - 5%
Dextrin - 5%
NaHCO3 - + 2%

VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsn53rtvWkA&index=4&list=PLsqljukXTx1-U7_bVGQQRdmAO7jIZDCDL

VIDEO IN SHELL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOcX8-fAeB4

Metallic lemon-yellow composition #2:

KCLO4 -15%

Mg/Al - 20%

Cryolite - 8%

Ba(NO3)2 - 42%

Phenolic resin - 7%

PVC - 8%

VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxtic6F5-tc

• 2 months later...

any other lemon formulas without kp please let me know we use kno3 not kp

any other lemon formulas without kp please let me know we use kno3 not kp

i don't think, that you get good lemon yellow with KNO3. If you want to use nitrates, try to combine barium and strontium nitrate, or barium-nitrate and cryolite/oxalate. green composition + 5-8% cryolite or oxalate.

Try Gary Smith's parlon yellow, or Ned Gorski's brillian yellow.

• 1 year later...

This may do the trick for you; I got tired of "sodium amber" and tinkered with the addition of "barium green". The formula can be rolled or cut, 35% alcohol works great, but a graded prime is recommended (or a hot inner prime). The hexamine may be ommited but it does help intensify the color a bit.

BRIGHT 'REAL' YELLOW STAR Color is a true lemon yellow, not amber Barium Nitrate 40 Potassium Perchlorate 14 MgAl, -200 or -325 m 12 Saran 10 Cryolite 8 Red Gum 4 Sulfur 4 Hexamine 4 Dextrine 4 % 100

Can anyone provide a source for this formula, where does it come from? Or is this a whatknot original?

I'm sure I've mentioned this, but I prefer "optical" yellows... barium/strontium blends. They can be tuned to any shade along the green to red line, including some really 'sassy' yellows.

LLoyd

....And the Lloyd rained fire and brimstone upon the Sodiumites....

Lol!

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

I saw this formula somewhere Lemon Yellow.

Strontium Nitrate 55

MGAL 25

Sulfur 10

Charcoal Air float 5

Dex 5

TI 10

I havent tried it yet so i dont know how it looks.

Edited by dynomike1

Eh... add a chlorine donor and some barium nitrate, and you'll be able to tune the color anywhere from green through the yellows and oranges, all the way to red. And you'll be able to choose your favorite hue.

What you cited does make a yellow color, but I don't find it very pleasing with all those Ti sparks, unless that happens to be what you're looking for. To me, yellows are prettier when they 'stand alone', clean, with a fairly large flame envelope.

Lloyd

Yea it also depends what other color you have beside it. Sometimes another color can make a terrible color look good.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi! Few days ago I have tested one of yellow lemon composition with Sodium Oxalate and Barium nitrate.
Lemon Yellow

KcIO4 -41

Na Oxalat -15
BaNO3 -15
MgAl -17
Iditol -7 (Resinox, phenol formaldehide resin) can sub. Redgum ,lactose or meal flour powders
Parlon -5
Dex +5 (reducing burn speed)
Binded with isopropil alcohol. (Works w? red gum or Resinox!!!) Best binder is NC laquer
Hand presed 5 mm cil. Stars
Edited by skysparkler

I bet it took awhile to see again.

• 10 months later...

Hello Everybody! Someone allredy tried HWW yelow composition?

30 Potassium Perchlorate

15 Barium Carbonate

15 Parlon

30 Magnalium

5 strontium carbonate

5 RedGum