APC Forum

***Ball Mill Explosion!***

dagabu

I just got off the phone with Burrito Bandito, he is in the hospital with some second degree burns and is missing his right pinky finger when his ball mill jar exploded late on the 4th of July when he was tending the jar after it caked up on him.

BB was using glass marbles as his grinding media and a Harbor Freight rock tumbler rubber jar with the aluminum cap. When the jar became caked, he shook the jar to dislodge the caked BP and the jar exploded in his hands. I am sure there are other injuries and I am sure he is still very much in shock but he wanted me to share this with all of you as soon as i was able to implore you all to NEVER use glass marbles for media, to never shake or hit your jars and to always wear your PPE!

BB was just in a t-shirt and pants, no gloves, face mask, etc. He feels that the outcome of his hand may have been very different if he had worn the gloves.

Bottom line is this, Burrito Bandito is a good man, he is smart and empathetic, he put a fundraiser together for me and my family and has been there for me from the beginning. This is a sad day for us, we all feel the heat of the blast emotionally and my heart goes out to him and his family as they sort through the outcome and walk this long journey.

In BB's own words, "This hobby is dangerous, I am concerned with some of the new people that are joining..." He spoke of several n00bs that have been showing poor choices in materials, dangerous methods and lack of knowledge of even the simplest of PPE.

PLEASE change the way you deal with your ball mills, wear the PPE every time you work with them, unplug them from a distance, be cautious emptying them and wear your damn PPE!

Stay safe everyone, that makes two men down in 14 months...

Dave

• Like 2

I echo the above sentiments. Could never wish this type of misfortune on anyone.

• Like 1

Wow! that is very scary. I wish him a quick and speedy recovery. Let me just add this. I made some lead media about a month ago and I have extra. If there is anyone out there using a sparking media for BP send me a PM and I will ship my extra lead media to you for free. It will be discrete. I don't want this to happen to anyone else here.
  • Like 2

Milling with glass marbles has been a recurring topic in this and other forums over the years. I hope this finally settles the matter once and for all.

• Like 1

I guess just any media will eventually have this outcome. This accident is interesting because it was clearly the shock that set off the batch. The colision of the marbles had enough energy to ignite the BP. Glass is much harder then brass or lead, it does not deform on inpact as much so the impact energy will be returned as heat.

I wish BB a quick recovery.

• Like 2

It's very unfortunate to read this, keep safe guys and wear PPE. Have a fast recovery Burrito

Edited by ivars21
  • Like 1

Burrito I hope for your speedy recovery.

• Like 1

Oh shit that's heart wrenching to hear! I was only just talking to him the other day in chat, I think it was even that night... Another smart and experienced pyro, thankfully only injured. I can only assume he didn't have a large mill.

Take heed "n00bs" that's why we are all constantly warning each other.

Hopefully there is no legal attention, rest up BB, :(

Edited by jessoman
  • Like 1

I have found myself becoming very complacent at times while working through the BP creation process. The very unfortunate incidents like BB's, Dagabu's, Mumbles and others have been a like a whack upside the head that says "wise up and work safely as possible because this is a dangerous hobby".

BB will be in my thoughts and prayer for the speediest of recoveries.

• Like 1

Dag, were you using Lead media when you had your accident?

Lamb, No I wasn't but it had nothing to do with the fire I had, there was no movement of the media, I was digging out all the powder from the mill by hand and leaving the media behind.

• Like 1

BB is such a wonderful young man and my initial response is tearful shock. But I should thank God, I suppose, that the injuries were not worse. How can I help him?

• Like 2

Thank you guys for your thoughts. When I make it home I will try and post pics. I am tying this right now with the aid of a stylus shoved in my cast and I can assure you that it's a challenge. Please, don't take your safety lightly. If I had practiced what I preach this could have turned out much better. PPE is not a luxury, nor is proper media. I've used this same set up for a while now and had became complacent. Don't base your decisions off personal experience. Follow tried and tested methods. There are reasons that they are in place. Sorry for the choppy disorganized structure of this message. I just wanted to thank you all and offer my lessons learned. I will be around, though I may not post much for a while. I don't wantto hear of this happening to anyone else. Be careful, take any precaution that you can, AND ALWAYS WEAR YOUR PPE!!!
  • Like 3

BurritoBandito, It is reassuring to see your post, and kind of you to think of others at a time like this.

• Like 1

BB is such a wonderful young man and my initial response is tearful shock. But I should thank God, I suppose, that the injuries were not worse. How can I help him?

When the time comes, I will make sure to organize an effort but for the next month or two, insurance will do what it does and BB will heal.

What is the new mantra? Wear your damn PPE!

2 pyros down in 14 months, both would not have the extensive injuries if they were wearing their PPE.

Wear your damn PPE!

• Like 2

Burrito, I wish you a speedy recovery too, I hope you overcome this blow.

These stories are shocking. It seemed to me the BP was a very safe and predectable thing somehow. As far as it can be of course.

The latest accidents published here show rather that BP can be a killer, and one you would not expect to be.

• Like 1

BB, I wish you a speedy recovery and my prayers are with you and your family. It was just yesterday that I was nitrating Erythritol to make Etn and as I poured the batch in a bucket of ice water and just as I picked up the bucket to filter it, the handle broke and I dropped it on the table and it splattered all over my clothes, the table and the floor.

Edited by Cookieman
  • Like 1

Get better BB I'm sorry to hear this and hope you get better fast. Been scary around the whole making BP process for me lately.
  • Like 1

post-18033-0-54838900-1404863752_thumb.jpgpost-18033-0-49134100-1404863804_thumb.jpgpost-18033-0-95928900-1404863803_thumb.jpgpost-18033-0-51051600-1404863803_thumb.jpg

My new hands... These pics were taken today and posted courtesy of my mother. I couldn't upload images from my phone, so she brought her laptop up to the hospital. I consider myself very fortunate. The best thing anyone could do for me is to be careful and always wear PPE. Please NEVER shake your jars and do NOT use marbles as media.

Thanks everyone for your kind words. It means a lot to me. Stay green.

Edit: I accidentally "liked" my own post and can not "unlike" it for some reason... Call me a narcissist. :)

Edited by BurritoBandito
  • Like 3

bb have a safe recovery I now will wear so welding gloves when empting my jar and will not shake it in the middle of a run anymore hope you recover fast. ps I use the harbor freight ball mill like you but use lead media never used anything else and never will

• Like 2

Hang in there BB, you have made a lot of people aware of the dangers of this hobby in a up close and personal way.

Sorry for your pain and suffering, hoping you have a speedy recovery.

• Like 1

Man, this is shocking.

After the close call a few years back I decided that pyro is simply too dangerous for me to do in my current condition. I've destroyed all combustible materials I have on hand (that means lots of bp mill dust, stars, etc.) and the only thing I am doing is trying to make perc, which is not easy... I destroyed a platinum anode for unknown reason (I think it might be excess chloride level).

As of now I'm just going to find another hobby, and stick with commercial fireworks.

If I manage to come back to the USA, if I did any pyro at all it will be at a convention or a pyro club. Accidents seem to be around the corner, as if woodworking isn't dangerous enough.

• Like 1