APC Forum

4th Plans?

nater

I'm curious what everyone's plans are here for the 4th of July? Due to my real job, I'm not shooting as many public displays as I used to. This year, I will get to spend the 4th with my family where we have a family reunion with a BBQ and my hometown's show shot on the lake. It's always a good time, and I have not been able to be there with them in a few years. On the 5th, I should be shooting a barge show with a Starfire system, although I was told I might be pulled from that show and sent to a large handfired show in a nearby town. I've actually done both shows in the past, even both on the same day. Helping load the barge show, then driving to help hand light the other one.

Probably light the cases of consumer pro shells and canisters I bought. But during the day, I'll have a barbecue with the family and after I'll get the mortars dug in the ground and light the few (2 6" shells and 7 4" shells) shells I have. Should be a nice holiday...

Sounds like you had a busy holiday in the past!

Have a safe 4th.

Dylan

In the past, I have done 7-10 day trips shooting shows all over the place. One year we shot a town festival on a barge in Ohio, pulled product and loaded trailers for other shows the next day, drove South and helped fire a show at Atlanta Motor Speedway, made our way to Florida to pull more product then back to an amusement park in Georgia for a 4 days, shooting 3 nights in a row. After that it was back to Ohio for 2 more shows in 2 nights before going home. I did that trip 2 years in a row, the second year the temps were above 110 degrees each day and I was just miserable. It doesn't pay enough if you're not having fun, so no more tours like that for me. Professional displays 2 or 3 times a month is plenty. ;)

Edit: I should add, that shooting shows like that during the 4th is pretty typical too. Many crews are on the road going from town to town all week. Some companies have rotating crews, one crew just drops racks and moves the next show and drops more racks. Another crew will follow with product to pin into the firing systems and move one to the next show and do the same. It's a long weekend and a lot of work to paint the sky for 20 minutes

Edited by nater

That's a lot of work, indeed. It's even more miserable in the hot humid climates too, I sweat sitting on a humid day in the shade. I can't even imagine the conditions in the hot sun for hours setting up racks, firing systems, etc. I do like the idea of rotating crews, keeps people happy and a bit less miserable I'd assume.

Edit: You're right, a lot of work... But that's a great 20 minutes well-earned if you ask me. If setting up shows were super easy and produced a couple hours of shells, it would get a bit boring after so many times doing it. That's why Pyro is so fun, you put so much work into a few seconds of enjoyment, and you say to yourself, "that was fun, I want to do that again." That's why I think people that quit Pyro just haven't expanded their capabilities. The possibilities of what you can build is endless, and that's what keeps the interest fresh.

Edited by LambentPyro

Yes after getting into this hobby I have a new way of appreciating the commercial shows that you folks put on and the supply of commercial shells !!

This is a pic of my shells, probably on the 4th, I'll fire the consumer size I made, and maybe a few 3" as we have the family over, bbq, On the 5th, I'll fire the larger ones and rockets in a more controlled setting.

What I managed to save after a lot of testing ;)

getting ready for the 4th !

Looking forward to my FIRST 4th with my own shells, canisters and rockets !!!

Have a great day everyone !!!

Matt

Sounds great, have fun!

I hope my oldest will be up for the filming as he always has been !!!

Set off a couple of shells (around 30-40ish) that I built over this last year. Then plan on cracking the tops on a few cold ones with family and friends. Should be a really good time. Edited by Jakenbake

I hope the order is reversed from your post. Pyro always comes before the cold ones, never after.

• Like 1

I'm building 100 shells total out of 3" and 4". I may put up a 6" as well. I've got right at 60 shells knocked out. I gotta fill and paste another 40 pretty quick. I wish I had a wasp xD

• Like 1

Im gonna be blowin stuff up end of story.. trunk full of storeboughts, some home made salutes and a few fountains/smoke bombs as well.. next year im makin shells for days

I can't seem to figure out how to quote,

Tyroneezekiel, Nice ! 100 shells, and your 60% there, I see some stiff fingers in you future !, Wasp, yes, I guess I am still new enough that I enjoy pasting, but at a 3 - 4 shell per night pace, Going to do some simultaneous / barrage firings ? I'm spreading mine out one at a time......slow and easy, enjoy the ride, and then recall the hours and hours of build time :D while the honey dew list grew....

I can't seem to figure out how to quote,

Lower right corner of the post you want to reply to, click Quote, or MultiQuote.

BBCode for quotes if you wanna go manual:

[quote= Who]Text[/quote]

To be entirely honest, i don't remember the time code, or the arrow(link) to the post from where it comes. If you want that stuff, just click quote.

B!

I hope the order is reversed from your post. Pyro always comes before the cold ones, never after.

In my case, the cold ones will come before, I am playing Ooohs & Ahhhs captain this year. I plan on inserting myself in a crowd of non-pyros, crack open Swishers effects monograph and correct everyone in Italian... B)

Tyroneezekiel, Nice ! 100 shells, and your 60% there, I see some stiff fingers in you future !

You better believe it! It's a bit overwhelming. I may end up not shooting em all and start to keep a rolling inventory.

Thats one way to get in to trouble, even "over there" make sure you got the right circumstances for storing it, so there isn't any legal issues.

B!

I've got all my stuff in a magazine. The ATF is coming sometime soon to approve me for my manufacturers license

I've got all my stuff in a magazine. The ATF is coming sometime soon to approve me for my manufacturers license

Got it the first time.... ;- )

Glad to hear it's under control. Such circumstances must be a lot nicer to work under.

B!

Oh you bet! I don't know why but when I use my phone on the forum it doubles my posts. I gotta figure out why it does that.

I

Yeah. I'm getting my last sign off for the FPO license, so I'll be all licensed up according to TX standards. At this point in my pursuit of firewor king, it is becoming more and more apparent that I gotta keep my end covered legally. This hobby lends itself to being dangerous, and I certainly wouldnt want any flak to fall on me. Especially now that I am moving up to 6" shells and bigger.