APC Forum

1 inch shell (bombette)

superspike23

Good stuff mate, they your first shells?

Those small ones are hard to work with. Try spiking the shells and breaking a touch harder to see if you can get some more symmetry.

I have been doing a few 1.5" shells for a micro pyro comp lately and they've been fun.

This is the first time I cylindrical shells 1 inch.

I would like to add a star stuck at the top but I do not know how to do with the cylindrical shells

Just add the "star" on the bottom rather then on top, if you don't trust the fire passing around the shell to light it on top.

"usually" you top fuse shells, so lighting the comet on top isn't an issue, even if you think you don't have enough fire and hot gases on top to do the job.

I look at the paper-tubes, and i go "way to thin... like thats going to do anything" It's to thin, my opinion remains the same, but it worked out a lot better then i expected. I was sure we were going to see a flowerpot.

I agree, tiny is a LOT harder to do, especially do well.

B!

Thank you,

I'll try to make a shell with star glued on bottom.

If successful, I will make the 40 shells that way.

It is true that for small shells must be more precise.

I do not use flash powder otherwise the stars would be blown.
Edited by superspike23

For those small shells, try to go with no spiking but a little more study tubes and a harder break. If you wan't to attach a star, why not use the star as your timingelement? Take your composition and ramm into the tube, add a clay bulkhead with a passfire, drop in your main charge and seal with a cap.

Mkay... use a stronger tube, and ram a clay plug with a fuse centered in it. This is done by making a little wooden base with a small hole that fits your timefuse. You can use a slice of your ramming rod to make it, high enough to fill the tube for 1/4. They are produced bottom-faced-up. Ordinary visco will do for the fuse. Your ramming rod should have a hole too, the other end of the fuse goes in there. Insert the fuse in the hole of your base, place the tube over the small base, and add some clay. Ram the clay. take the tube from the base, and fill the tube with stars and breakcharge (flash, but not 70/30 use KNO3 based flash) put a cardboard disk in it, fill the remaining space with clay and another cardboard disk. glue this one with ordinairy white wood glue or hot melt. The bottom is now a clay plug with a centered fuse. Clip this fuse to just 2 - 3 mm. Use a colored star composition (or any) and make a thin droopy slurry. Add it to the remaining space you created with your ramming base. Dip the still wet comp in fine grain BP and let dry. Done. Make several and fill your tubes.

EDIT: see my gallery for some pictures to get the idea!

best regards

Edited by spitfire

If your going with bentonite plugs, just make the bottom plug be one made of a star composition instead. It will "blink" and / or "twist" on the way up as the tube rotates, and act as delay for the darn thing. Tune the delay by (by hand) drilling a spot in the center of it from the inside.The smaller the better i suppose, since it will contain the blast pressure better. Working of theory here, it should work, never tried it.

B!