APC Forum

Smoke gerb

ianagos

Hey I need a smoke type creating device but also would like to have it look nice. Need to make enough smoke to fill a 150x75x25 pavilion type thing. I was thinking make some 60/40 kno3/sugar with more sugar added maybe and a little TI. In some herb tooling I made for 3/4 and maybe use several. Let me know any formulas you think would be good or any recommendations at all thanks. Also cannot creat much fallout will be on ice for a quick laser show.

Are people near by? If so don't use pyro based ones, go for commercial oil based steam generators.

Also don't forget that the sugar based one stinks like burned sugar. If that doesn't mater, then you should be fine with 50/50 knsu or maybe better with 60/40 and some added ammonia chloride. Like 10 to 20%

Hire a smoke machine or a haze machine from an events company. Pyro smoke always SMELLS and much as we like the smell many people don't.

Be very careful that the venue will permit smoke and lasers, many will not.

That is 281,250 cubic feet. Which is pretty big depending on the density. Military HC smoke, which makes by far the most amount of smoke per weight of comp, is supposed to make 100,000 cubic feet per 8 ounces of comp. And isn't supposed to be breathed for long. I would imagine you would need quite a few smokes if using sugar based.

Also, something to think about is how quick you want to generate the smoke and how long it needs to last. If there is much wind the smoke won't stay around long. And some smokes seem to go up, probably from the heat of combustion. Maybe a cooler smoke will help hug the ground, though I'm not sure what that would be. Probably the oil based smoke generator.

A legendary smoke bomb creates a lot of smoke, if you want to use kno3, sugar, and parafin wax. You will need to make a few if you want to have smoke in the pavillion for a while. Like they said, you don't want people smelling the smoke since it will smell like burnt sugar.

If there are people nearby, you can not use kno3/sugar. Smoke K2CO3 + H2O + СО2 formed. It irritates the breathing. Alkali!

You need:

propylene glycol - 55%

glycerol - 35%

distilled water - 10%

Need a heating element. Dripping liquid and evaporates, forming white smoke.

Yeah, that sounds like one of the "oil based" compositins often used for these party smoke machines. The glycerin also explains the sweet smell of them know. Well they aren't relly oil based, but funktion on the same way, like oil smoke is generated