APC Forum

Fireworking or Passfire

uncrichie

Hi all. If you had to choose only one (Passfire.com or Fireworking.com) and price wasn't the deciding factor, which one would you subscribe to and why? Maybe the time will come where I can do both but for now one will have to do. Thanks

Note: Things change over the years. Please see the included link for a message from the owner on Passfire about updates and improvements. Dec. 26th, 2015. - Mumbles

http://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/topic/9022-fireworking-or-passfire/page-3?do=findComment&comment=152489

Edited by Mumbles
updating some information

Passfire has a very good archive of tutorials and database of formula's.

Fireworking has a ways to go with it's database but seems to have a lot of activity on the site.

Ned Gorski is adding a lot of good quality tutorials to the fireworking site each month.

Both sites are worth the price of joining.

Lately I have seen more activity on the fireworking site.

Took four tries before the post would load. WTF!

That's a tough one as both sites have their strong points. Kyle has excellent tutorials in the archives of Passfire and the formula database is great. I really like that I can upload private formulas into the database and use the conversion calculator as a time saver.

Ned also has great tutorials and is usually adding more. One thing I really like about fireworking.com, is it has developed into a "group build" atmosphere with discussions on the forums. Several people often work on similar projects and get a good discussion of their trials going.

If I absolutely had to pick one, it would be Fireworking.com. Ned is a club member, and I try to support club members first. Otherwise, both site are well worth the money.

if i had to pick one it would have to be fireworking because i over heard there are allot of nice people :) , and they dont tolerate a bunch of BS going on, Where as iv heard passfire has quite a few people who like to argue about the stupidest things.

A rumor going around that APC forum is a good site with a lot of good people.

Is there any truth that rumor?

APC? Never heard of that place. Whats that, somewhere more unofficial, where the good guys meet up and share ideas without someone charging a fee for the sharing? That place cant survive in the long run.

B!

• Like 1

Kinda late to this party, but I'd go with Fireworking.com

The search feature is much better than Passfire, and the atmosphere is much less... ummm..... hostile.

With that being said, the best value of the bunch is APC.

Kevin O

I never thought Passfire was hostile, just a little too political for my tastes. The only character on Passfire that really makes personal attacks on people is a fellow named Eric Hunkins, and he is apparently the nicest guy in the world off line, so he doesn't count :P

I think there are some distinct advantages to having the entry fee. You keep out spammers, little kids, kewl bomberz, and trolls (who all have better ways to spend their $40 that took them two years to save), while keeping in your veteran fireworkers, club officials, and even people who were big shots in the fireworks industry (like Lloyd Spoonenburg). If you want to master a craft it helps to be in touch with the masters of the craft. While there are a lot of very knowledgeable people here it is a whole 'nother level on PF and Fireworking.

I feel like here, every two seconds we have to talk down some kid from messing with flash or something. On Passfire, every two seconds we get distracted by politics. So far Fireworking is looking like the safe haven in it all!

ALL THAT SAID, we really need sites like this for those getting into the hobby. I would have never signed up for Fireworking or Passfire, or for that matter even my local club out of a slight curiosity. This forum was one of the resources that got me acquainted with others in the hobby. I even found out that someone on this forum lived right down the street from me! Having information available on a public forum helps get people moving in the right direction; towards the fireworks community and away from danger. And, this forum is particularly well managed, and good people keep posting here, so I intend to stick around :). There are also very knowlegeable people here that aren't on PF of fireworking, another good reason to stick around regardless of where in the hobby you are.

Edited by flying fish
  • Like 1

Glad to hear you guys appreciate what Mark and I do here. Keeping it free is something that's important to me. The donations for the most part cover all of our running expenses, which we're immensely grateful for. It's been a process, but I like to generally think we have something good and important here. It's sort of weird for me to think about, but I've been involved in shaping this website for over half of my life already.

I'm not yet a member of Fireworking (hopefully soon), but I know I wouldn't be where I am now without passfire and rec.pyro. The cost of admission to passfire is more than worth it. I think of those types of websites as just another must have information source, much like F.A.S.T, Hardt, or the Fulcanelli articles.

I didn't join Fireworking either. APC and Kyle has done a lot with their sites. So how many more do I did to need to join? Not many more in my opinion. Just from the little mingling I do now I have more ideas than I ever know what to do with. I need more time than web sites. There has got to be some give somewhere and Fireworking is where I draw the line. With club memberships and website renewals stacked up I'm good. I would much rather expand my library each year instead. Ned's a good guy and does a lot and I'm sure the forum is great, without a doubt, but I'll stick with the originals.

As far as access to knowledgeable people, I'd say Passfire is about even with Fireworking. Passfire also has a much larger amount of searchable material accumulated than Fireworking, even though it's kind of a pain in the rear to actually search for things. The place where Fireworking has pulled ahead (to me) is that it seems to be a more productive, "Let's do this project together" kind of atmosphere. I feel like I am in the same boat as you Mark; I can't frequent all of the forums I belong to because I just don't have the time. And while I am extremely impressed with Ned's site, I still only frequent APC and Passfire, perhaps out of habit.

• 2 weeks later...

I've should've read this post before getting a subscription to passfire...just kidding! passfire has lots of great stuff and the tutorials are great, but it's also nice to have a website like APC, where I feel like I can ask anything and I won't get judged for my lack of knowledge

Edited by asdercks

Danny Creagan showed up on Fireworking.com today.

Most weeks I see a few more new faces on Fireworking.com that were on this site or Passfire.

Ned Gorski is doing a good job with the site.

Mikee,

The collaborative approach is what I find most attractive about Fireworking. There is a lot of cool new stuff happening there, and a very friendly atmosphere - though there's plenty of critique of new methods.

With that said, I'm going to keep my PF subscription active as well, just for the formulary. Not that there is really anything there that is novel, but it is darned convenient.

Kevin O

Thanks everyone, you have helped me make the decision. Kurt

Just to satisfy inquiring minds, I chose Fireworking. However I do thoroughly enjoy APC and the fact that I was welcomed as a newbie without ridicule. Main reason for joining Fireworking is to have more to read, can't get enough if you know what I mean! I always stop at APC first!!!

• 2 weeks later...

So after finally checking out Fireworking and PF for my self, i feel like PassFire has more Tutorials/Articles , But Fireworking has some cool things that ned has came up with , Also fireworking Has A Open creative atmosphere , everyone is sharing new ideas no matter how crazy they seem to be , some of them end up working out fine , and some of them end up failing but your still supported and brought back up and everyone gets a good laugh.

With that said I love APC, and this is my go to site, I know the people on here, i get along with most everyone, Lots of information, very friendly people,And its practically family to me. Its an all round AWESOME site.

But i really cant decide which of the two , PF or Fireworking, i would choose. Their both great websites with load of information.

~Steven

Just don't join PF for the forums... guys there talk more about politics than pyro, and if you're a minority you will feel unwelcome there. They have good tutorials but Kyle updates them like once in a blue moon (he's supposed to update them at least once a month). Maybe join up and then just save the whole site to your computer somehow...

I have not tried fireworking.com

• Like 1