APC Forum

Simi Valley Firework Accident " Accidents Happen"

pyroman2498

So, i'm not sure where to post this , so i decided there would be the best place to announce this,

just a few minutes ago i got a text from my sister telling me to take a look at the accident in Simi Valley,

So if you haven't heard in Simi valley Ca there was an accident . Just wanted to send out my prayers to everyone who was involved,

What i was told that happened is that a shell when off it a tube and sent the other racks tipping over shooting into the crowd.

Don't take my word on exactly what happened i'm only as good as what people tell me.

But This year doesn't seem like a good year for fireworks, My home town show wasn't very good do to the fact that we had some shells that landed in the grave year only about 75 feet away from the crowd and we also had the stars from some strobe shells land on the ground not far off from the audience.

I hope no one had to experience a 4th as dangerous as in Simi Valley, And once again my prayers go to all that are in the hospital and had to see all this bad happen.

For more info on Simi Valley - http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-simi-valley-fireworks-hospitals-20130705,0,5399295.story

They were lucky. A similar thing happened in 1902 at Madison Square Gardens, where 15 were killed and 80 seriously injured when a shell of chlorate stars exploded in its mortar, detonating several neighbors and knocking over the rest of the racks, lighting them at the same time. According to witness the mortars were "standing, unsupported in any way, on the asphalt". That was the worst ever firework display accident in the USA. Some of the casualties were caused by pieces of the steel mortars that fragmented, and the nearest spectators were within a few feet of the racks. HDPE mortars and proper setback distances probably avoided similar casualties at Simi. It's a pity the operators didn't bury the mortars, but the park authorities probably wouldn't let them.

Makes me wonder if the shell was loaded upside down. Need to see some video to see if the lift charge went first and if there was a delay while the spollete burned through. Otherwise I would say the shell is to blame. Did adjacent racks get knocked over or was it just the tubes that got scattered in the rack that blew? I guess it depends on how the racks were lined up and supported but it would take a heck of a blast to rupture the tube and knock over multiple racks. A salute in the opener maybe?

The facts always come last.

Play safe,

KFF.

here is 1 video , it looks like it was a colored shell that blew in the tube and sent everything else flying and shooting everywhere

I only hand light 3”, 4”, 5” and electronically 6” flag shells with salutes for the Anthem. Those appear to be larger and electronically fired. If what they say is true; the staff is “highly qualified” it’s very unlikely that a shell was loaded upside-down. A big shell going off in the tube could easily knock down rows of tightly packed adjacent racks of electronically fired shells. I found it odd that the show continued on for quite some time after the mishap. Could be that the person or persons at the panel were diving for cover and not able to shut it down. The video is from too far away to tell much and unfortunately the guilty shell is in no condition to reveal it’s secretes. We may never know why.

Play safe,

KFF.

Edited by killforfood

But these don't help to much to see why the show kept firing.

I think the board operator was soiling a load of laundry under the nearest table and didn't come out until things settled down a bit. Can't say I would blame them though. Of course this is all speculation. I would like to hear the crews story. The media is least likely to get the initial facts correct.

Reminds me of when I was a kid watching a show at Reedley High School in the 80's and one of the techs dropped a flare.

Still remember thinking how was it humanly possible for someone to jump that far from a complete standstill.

Still remember thinking how was it humanly possible for someone to jump that far from a complete standstill.

Ohh.. I know how, I was out Deer hunting and stepped on a Rattle Snake giving live birth. I'll put that jump up against anybodies. I shot 5 times on the way up and still had time to reload on the way down :P

OK maybe it was one shot after touch down but I swear I was up there a long time.

Hope all of the folks that came out to enjoy the show recover OK. Hated to hear that some little ones were injured.

Play safe,

KFF.