APC Forum

General Safety-Preventative measures

BigBang

Yes you are right but in fire safety matter you can use it.Fire is the major problem these days .so stooping of the fire they used fire retardant additives .in the help of this they can take precaution .in the fire industry this is the new innovation.so if people wants safe they can take this and become secure.

I think addition of a basic salt (like carbonates) to chlorate and sulfur composition might make it less prone to spontaneous combustion, but it is still very sensitive to impact and friction!

Strike anywhere matches only has a little bit of the chlorate/sulfur composition while the rest of the tip is just a regular match head. The stuff easily goes off from friction with any hard surface.

I read on passfire that you could mix chlorates with a non chlorate oxidizer (like perchlorates) to make it less sensitive, for example a composition containing potassium chlorate and perchlorate. I don't know how that works and if not done properly, it could result in something even more sensitive than chlorate alone.

Edited by taiwanluthiers

• 1 year later...

Hey everyone!

I'm very new to this site and new to pyrotechnics.

I have a question though. Is it possible to make/ launch Arial shells in Northern California for your personal non-commercial use? I know that fireworks that explode leave the ground, or spin uncontrollably are illegal?

Are any special permits/ licenses/ ground rules required? I've read the "Orange Book" but can't seem to find anything.

I'm from north cal too, and i can tell you that you will never be able to legally practice your hobby in California. Getting a permit is near impossible in California, either find a desolate place to test your stuff, or move to a different state. Edited by AldoSPyro
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'm from north cal too, and i can tell you that you will never be able to legally practice your hobby in California. Getting a permit is near impossible in California, either find a desolate place to test your stuff, or move to a different state.

Oregon is only a little better. Fireworks are still illegal here, but explosives are not, as long as you have an ATFE license. Rocketry doesn't require a license at all, and is entirely legal as long as you adhere to the regulations. (There are many thriving rocketry clubs in Oregon.)

You will find conflicting information about state explosives licensing online, so go to the website of your state's Fire Marshal.

The state of OR in its wisdom decided in 2009 that the ATFE's regulations of explosives manufacturing were sufficient, and gave up the expensive business of issuing state licenses that essentially duplicated the ATFE's process, but with the added hurdle of a knowledge test.

So now in Oregon, you can make anything that fits the definition of a rocket; and you can make explosives with an ATFE license or permit; but you cannot attach one to the other to make a display firework. You can make the parts of a display firework; but you will still have to go out of state to assemble them and test them.

(It might be time to make some friends among the First Nations people. Their reservations are still considered sovereign nations, and I believe it is legal to make and use fireworks and explosives there, in the company of a First Nations citizen; but don't quote me on that until you've obtained legal counsel. I am not an attorney, just a citizen struggling to find my way through the maze of local, state, and federal laws regarding the making, possession, transportation, and use of hobby fireworks.)

Is there anyone here who knows the laws in Washington, Idaho, or Nevada?

-- Paravani

Edited by Paravani

Does legality of rocketry in Oregon involve experimental rocketry or limited to using premanufactured motors? Most the time rocketry doesn't involve mixing of dangerous chemicals and it's generally more structured because high power rockets still require FAA waiver, which is simpler when done in a club. Edited by taiwanluthiers
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

These safety rules should be maintained strictly to avoid any Accident.......

You can never trust 100% that you can avoid accidents. Just be aware of that, and don't fall into a false sense of safety :)

I did, once... As I am sure many others have. And believe me, it hurts! ;)

• 6 years later...