APC Forum

Dibenzoyl (peroxide) ?

onionfish

So, I went to a paint shop looking for some acetone today. Looking through the rack of chemicals, I saw an interesting warning label. That of what you typically see on oxidators such as potassium nitrate.

The stuff's called Dibenzoyl (That's what google translate spat out for "Dibenzoyl Peroxid", as I'm living in a german speaking country).

The chemical formula appears to be C14H10O4.

I looked it up on Wikipedia, where it tells me that it's explosive.

I want try my hands at KNO3/Su rockets, but getting your hands on potassium nitrate is a bit of a pain in the neck where I live, and this thing appears to be an oxidator, and judging by the fact that's it a peroxide, probably a powerful one too.

Does anyone know anything about this stuff? It just said "Dibenzoyl-Paste" on the tube, with the oxidator warning label.

If this is some kind of well known thing, then please excuse my ignorance, I'm a newcomer to this kind of stuff.

I really doubt it will be of any use for anything practical. It's probably not particularly concentrated to begin with. Peroxides are used as as a cross-linking catalysts/agents for polyesters used in making fiberglass.

I wouldn't want to use it for anything in pyro to begin with.

What Mumbles said.

Organic peroxides are used as hardener/Catalysts for polyester resin used in everything from boats to "sculptures". Peroxides in pyro always have lots of cautions for incompatibilities and are likely to be sensitive and less stable than most mixtures.

very well put and not only of no real use but even in low concentrations some can be damaging to skin very quickly we use to use MEKP if my memory serves me right its methyl ethyl key-tone peroxide {or something like that} and should only be used for its intended purpose. peroxides are not something to play with and to be honest i dont see any use for them in pyro {without safety issues and great risks}

I know of someone who made some explosives out of bezoyl peroxide [C6H5C(O)]2O2. He said that it was stable for a peroxide. Then again he did kind of kill himself so I might stay clear of these. I don't remember what process he used to make it, but that is probably for the best.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Looks like I'll have to keep looking for some stable and cheap alternatives to KNO3

Your energy would probably best be spent just looking for KNO3. There really aren't going to be any cheap, suitable OTC oxidizers that will fit the bill.