APC Forum

Star Roller

burnie

Built this in a couple of hours with some R/C stuff I had around, I've only "rolled" rice crispies so far.

post-18205-0-73253400-1369432788_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I'll bet your RC stuff feels slighted now. ;)

Your star roller seems to be really good,will you make big batch of stars with it ? I hope that the engine will be powerfull enough :D

you'll like the seccond design better, however you might look into getting a Totally enclosed Gear Head Motor from ebay or something.

i have a nice 120 RPM 1/4 HP gear head from an awning roller with a router speed controller and rectifier. 90V dc.

adjustable and no sparks.

i used the same design as you the first 2 years, but noticed on long rolling sessions the "fog" of composition started reacting with the brushes in the drill motor, crackle snap pop. ect. one thing i dont want is my roller going up off the alcohol fumes and powder cloud. food for thought.

otherwise great job! i prefere the benchtop style.

I'd get rid of the drill. They're not meant for continuous operation, and they have exposed DC motors. These motors generate plenty of sparks, which might be capable of igniting any flammable dusts or vapors you're generating.
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...
Looks good just doubt you'll be able roll a decent amount of stars due to lack of strength of the joint holding the bowl.

Out of curiosity, how do these buckes work with their 90 degree corner/edge vs a round bottom bowl?

Keep an eye on the corner, it's easy to get a build up. When i do i take a spoon or a paint stick and hold it in the corner till it's gone. You might want to try this windshield wiper motor. It should be cheap out of the junk yard.

post-13371-0-28872500-1486733183_thumb.jpg

Edited by dynomike1

My small roller :)

I filled in that 90 degree corner with epoxy. I also scratched the drum with coarse sandpaper for more traction.

Edited by Pyrodood

Freaking awesome!!! Good job!! Now get sum charcoal comp and roll it over sum color or strobes!!
  • Like 1

Well I like your design but I tried a design like that and I seem to mess up a lot of things that I try to build so I went to Northern Freight and bought a small cement mixer and it does a really good job and also can make a 15lb. batch of stars at once if you need to. Depends on how much you need to make but as for me I make around 250 3" mortars and 25 6" mortars for my 4th of July show. Just a thought..

My small roller :)

I filled in that 90 degree corner with epoxy. I also scratched the drum with coarse sandpaper for more traction.

1) How do you mount the bucket, I do not see any signs on the inside like most videos that show some kind of brace and bolt(s)?

2) Do you have any problems with the lack of support under the front/top of the bucket?

• Like 1

Starxplor

1. There are two buckets, one within the other. The 'outer' bucket is mounted to that wooden hub, which is mounted to a 1/2" shaft collar. The 'inner' barrel is just slid into the outer bucket, friction holds it in place.

2. No problem with lack of support because the load is evenly distributed through that wooden hub. Also my batches are small, usually around 1 pound or so, so not much load to begin with.

• 1 month later...