APC Forum

Golf Ball Cannon

ewest

I came across this link looking up cannons the other day and found it pretty interesting. It's how to build your own cannon that shoot golf balls (up to 7 miles it says). Golf balls are ideal because they're airodynamic and cheap. I'm not condoning anyone actually build one, but it's got to be AWESOME to shoot :lol:

http://www.plans-kits.com/project2.html

Best part is there's a "Metal Supermarket" here in town that'll pre-cut the stuff for me the exact lengths I need. I love that place, I'm in there getting bar stock Aluminum and Stainless all the time, and you only pay for the exact length you need.

Of course to get that range you'd have to use NC as a propellant. I wouldn't feel very safe using it in a cannon, but if you follow certain safety precations I'm sure it could be done safely. Launching a golfball that far would be insane!

I wish I could drive a golf ball like that. I gotta think you lose visual afte the first second. Would be pretty cool though.

go to a mini gold course or somthing and get some bright orange balls.. This might help you see it longer... and find it when it lands

Just imagine what you could shoot a ball through with a cannon like that!

go to a mini gold course or somthing and get some bright orange balls.. This might help you see it longer... and find it when it lands

Actually, white is much better to me when tracking an aerial golf ball. I use the mortar I bought off cannonfuse test how good my black powder is with white golf balls. If it's good black powder the golfball is lost in the woods behind where I shoot off fireworks. But if it sucks, I can find and reuse the golfball. But when I found a blaze orange golf ball and shot it, it seemed harder to track then the white ones.

well I want to make one of these, the look on my friends face when I hit a 400m drive would be priceless, he's used to my 25 shots a hole strategy :D

It would be awesome to play actual "pyro golf". If you haven't heard of it before it's where you take 2.5 grams (You can make it more if you and your opponents don't have that good of black powder) of your homade black powder and shoot your golfball 3 times and you add up your distances. The person with the highest points (distances all added up) wins. Sadly, I don't have any true pyro friends around here that want to actually learn pyro the right way <_<

Oh realy? well I stand corrected.. What i fool I am lol... It probely depends on the enviroment your in too though.. Id imagine

It's a lot easier to see different colors in different areas like it would be much easier to see an orange golf ball in snow as opposed to a white one. But it's easier to spot a white golfball in the air on a sunny day (to me at least).

Just imagine what you could shoot a ball through with a cannon like that!

On the website they shot it thru a 4" piece of concrete. I think that's 'nuff said right there.

Ive always wanted to shoot a jawbreaker at high speeds and see what happened if it shattered.. turned to dust or just dissapeared.. it would be entertaining for sure lol

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I did a little research and a golf ball is 1.68"OD. So I went by Metal Supermarket last week and bought a 1 3/4"ID x 1/2"wall x 18"LG barrell, a 1 5/8" solid bar (cut to 1"LG), and a small piece of 1/4" plate for the end cap. Walk out price was $60. My friend is welding it up tomorrow for me and I hope to be able to shoot it for New Years.

I'm not however ever planning to actually shoot a golf ball from it, I just want a working cannon to add to my arsenal. And I'm going to build a cart for it more like a traditional cannon, not the metal one they showed on that original website.

I'll post some pic's and videos after New Years.

Ok, I promised pic's and a video but we got so excited we forgot to take pictures of the assembly. But here's a video of us firing it.

Golf Ball Cannon

This was fired using 30gr of FFG Goex and we used dried pine needles as wading. No Golf Balls were used as this was fired on 75 acres of nothing but pine trees. Anybody ever hit a pine tree playing golf? That'll explain why I'm not about to ever shoot a ball out of it.

• 1 year later...
Ok, I promised pic's and a video but we got so excited we forgot to take pictures of the assembly. But here's a video of us firing it.

Golf Ball Cannon

This was fired using 30gr of FFG Goex and we used dried pine needles as wading. No Golf Balls were used as this was fired on 75 acres of nothing but pine trees. Anybody ever hit a pine tree playing golf? That'll explain why I'm not about to ever shoot a ball out of it.

WOW!! That sucker was loud! Now all you need to do is chock the wheels before someone gets runned over.

Edited by gunner1

Golf Ball Cannon

You saying you have poor aim? ;{) And most likely a golf ball hitting a pine tree would have a COMPLETELY different effect than what you have envisioned with a driver in yer hand as opposed to fired from that cannon.